PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket issues

Black 535i
11-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Anyone have any idea of the cost of headgasket replacement on a 1992 535i with 220,000 miles? I got a leak on the weekend and replaced the thermostat housing which was leaking but this just forced the leak to the head between the rear to exhaust manifolds were I saw a small leak a week ago. Car smokes when the leak starts. Now I am looking at a head redo. What else should I look at doing while in there? I have had an estimate of $1200 to $1400 for the head work without anything else. Is this about average? My mechanic does not try to screw me so I assume that all is cool with what he is recommending. Never bs'd me before. Sort of a large kick to the scrotum pole with this repair!

Ross
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
If the head doesn't need work and is straight(it's not overheated, right?) you could do it yourself for around $200.
M30s are easy to work on.

BigKriss
11-17-2008, 06:31 PM
what involved with the head work?

Black 535i
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Just replacement of the gaskets as far as he can tell so far. Headgasket sets are $200.00+/- and the labor. There is a lot of crap to remove before getting to the gasket as well as the draining of the rad fluid and oil. This is not something I have time or desire to do so i am willing to go along with the repair.

BigKriss
11-17-2008, 10:09 PM
i guess 1200 to 1400 is fine. there's about 10 to 12 hours of work there.

Dash01
11-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Just replacement of the gaskets as far as he can tell so far. Headgasket sets are $200.00+/- and the labor. There is a lot of crap to remove before getting to the gasket as well as the draining of the rad fluid and oil. This is not something I have time or desire to do so i am willing to go along with the repair.

If it's just the HG itself, that should run ~$50-63, plus ~$3 each for the 14 head bolts, which should be replaced per the one-stretch rule.

The multiple gaskets kit costs ~2X more, though, if you want/need to do more gaskets than just the head. Call BMA for a quote, although your local parts guys can probably get a Reinz or similar kit for the same price, same day and no shipping charges.

To do just the HG and assuming no other work on the head, and that it's straight, should just take a few hours.

It's probably possible to unbolt and raise the head by hoist without removing the wiring harness, if the harness retainer bracket is removed from the firewall to make enough slack in the wire to the computer brain, and/or by unplugging it from the brain. This would entail unbolting the timing chain (at TDC), the exhaust pipes, and the wires to the starter motor, but leaving the intake and exhaust manifolds on the head. A standard hoist or overhead winch should suffice. Raise the head just enough to see and clean the surfaces, so good lighting and mirrors would be helpful.

When putting the head back on, make sure you have both dowel pins in place, to hold the new HG in position: I used old golf club shafts for this, thin and flexible, inserting them through the head and down into the head bolt holes in the block, to guide the head into place as I slowly lowered it to mate with the block.

Black 535i
11-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Am going ahead with the work and will let you know at the end of the week how it all went. Sucks to be without the car all week. Now I have to walk to the train to get to work and it is snowing here in Chicago.

Black 535i
11-21-2008, 04:23 PM
$1735.00 total for new headgasket set, valve adjustment, thermostat and a breather hose. Car runs like a dream now and no more leaks. Also the non stop ticking near the valve cover turned out to be valves out of adjustment and now she purrs even at this many miles. Still a big chunk of change but better than a new head or cam.

E34 530
11-21-2008, 05:09 PM
$1735.00 total for new headgasket set, valve adjustment, thermostat and a breather hose. Car runs like a dream now and no more leaks. Also the non stop ticking near the valve cover turned out to be valves out of adjustment and now she purrs even at this many miles. Still a big chunk of change but better than a new head or cam.

Jesus that's a lot of cash.

Dave M
11-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Jesus that's a lot of cash.

Yeah, too bad repairs aren't pro-rated to the value (or lack thereof) of your vehicle.

Dave

Black 535i
11-22-2008, 07:49 AM
I plan on keeping the car for quite some time even with the age and mileage so it does not bother me to do that kind of repair. I figure a new car would have issues and I would have a monthly payment as well. Plus I get near 26 mpg on the hwy which is equal to a new car so what is the point of a new car? I am not a kid who needs 300 hp so this sits well with me. Otherwise no major issues with the vehicle.

Dave M
11-22-2008, 10:22 AM
I plan on keeping the car for quite some time even with the age and mileage so it does not bother me to do that kind of repair. I figure a new car would have issues and I would have a monthly payment as well. Plus I get near 26 mpg on the hwy which is equal to a new car so what is the point of a new car? I am not a kid who needs 300 hp so this sits well with me. Otherwise no major issues with the vehicle.

Head gasket repair is a head gasket repair. All part of owning any used vehicle.

Dave

Black 535i
11-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Head gasket repair is a head gasket repair. All part of owning any used vehicle.

Dave