PDA

View Full Version : Blown fuse - 525i A/T e34

saweatherman
11-17-2008, 03:56 AM
All I wanted to do was to remove the microfilter ! After done that, the car would'nt start. It is RH steering and I was not sure if the microfilter cover was on the leftside (passenger) because all the threads on the web are mostly for LH steering. So I opened the glovebox and plastic covers and remove the floorcarpet on the left side until I saw the aircon piping and realised it should be on the driver's (right) side. When finished and I tried to start, this is the scenario: On turning the ignition, there are only a few clicks from relays but no crank - neither in P or N. Things OK - electronic trip meter, only Airbag indicator light, radio, air blower and lights. Things NOT OK - error message on cluster, no oil pressure/brake light indicators, Electric windows, sunroof, turning indicators. Suddenly when I shifted the gear lever between P, N and R while turning ignition, the car started with a jerk in R - strange hey! I pushed it back to P and car was idling normal. As soon as I put it into R or D the error indicator bar on cluster is flashing (not stable) contineously. I could drive the car without any problem - done it twice, e/windows, sunroof, indicators, lights working. I check fuse box in engine compartment. Only fuse 3 (heater) was blown and car would still not start. After some thorough investigation I found fuse 17 (7.5 Amp) also blown. According to the manual fuses 1,17,20 are for the instrument cluster. On replacing this 7.5 A fuse (17) it blew again. All I can think of is perhaps I have touched/pulled on some sensitive wire while struggling with microfilter or footwell cover? Any suggestions please!

Ross
11-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I suspect you somehow pinched the grn/rd wire to the auto trans range switch. This would account for blowing fuse 17 as well as explain the odd behavior when attempting to start.