PDA

View Full Version : Slight burnt smell from vent.

Rick L
11-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Recently, I smell slight burnt odor when I turn on the heater. This only happens when the temperature gauge hits 12 and only last few minutes. I have already changed cabin micro filter. Is there another filter or something else that can be done?

Tiger
11-16-2008, 09:08 PM
That could be your fan resistor burning leaves... I recently changed mine and there was a whole bunch of leaves, acorns and other stuff around there. That particular section traps alot of garbage before it gets to the filter.

ThoreauHD
11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Yea, I just had a bunch of leaves swirling all over my car. Heater kicked in due to it being 28 degree F, and it smelled like a small fire. Went away after a few minutes. Tiger, do you know where the fan resister is? I'd like to give it a light check to make sure the car doesn't ignite.

Jehu
11-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Yea, I just had a bunch of leaves swirling all over my car. Heater kicked in due to it being 28 degree F, and it smelled like a small fire. Went away after a few minutes. Tiger, do you know where the fan resister is? I'd like to give it a light check to make sure the car doesn't ignite.

I know...

Remove the driver's side (US SpecCar) Carpet Panel on the center transmission housing bump... look up in for a Blue plastic housing about three inches square with a wire harness plugged in to it. Pull that out of where its fitted,there are tabs on either edge of the part.It can take some effort to get it out but keep with. Once its out you may be able to get a vacume hose to that opening.

Tiger
11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
It is also covered by a bunch of thick wire looms... just push it aside and you can see tha tlight blue retangular shape.

Rick L
11-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the info Tiger... I never thought of that. But wouldn't it still cause it to burn entire time with heater on? The burnt order only last few minutes and is fine afterward.

Jehu
11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
not if the material is consumed or blown clear of the heat source

Tiger
11-17-2008, 08:38 PM
First electrical draw is always the hardest... When I pulled my old one out to replace... it was covered with lots of stuff and I stuck my finger in the hole to find a ton more debis there...

I had that burning smell before... no more.

BMWCCA1
11-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Sometimes the burning smell is because the resistor pack is beginning to fail. It's also hottest on low speed so turning it up to high will sometimes stop the odor if the pack is failing. . . or stop the leaf-burning, as the case may be. Take it out and see if you see any sign of burned electronics. The new part is only about $20.

Rick L
11-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to check that out but too cold to! :p I'm not ready for winter yet... :(

ThoreauHD
11-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks fellas. I'll take a look at the damage after I hit a gun show this weekend.