PDA

View Full Version : 540 will not turn over

barry 90 525i
11-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Just biught a 95 540/A last week, car was running fine, parked at night and in the morning will not turn over, all lights work and power windows. I had put a new battery in when i bought it. Switched battery from another car in just to make sure, still will not turn over. Any ideas where to start on my next day off? thanks

whiskychaser
11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Just biught a 95 540/A last week, car was running fine, parked at night and in the morning will not turn over, all lights work and power windows. I had put a new battery in when i bought it. Switched battery from another car in just to make sure, still will not turn over. Any ideas where to start on my next day off? thanks

Assume your dash lights dont dim or go out when you turn the key or you would have said so. First thing to check is if you are getting a voltage at the small solenoid terminal when you turn the key. If not you need to work back to the key via the starter relay and possibly immobiliser. As its an auto there will be a switch to stop you starting it in anything but P or N. Worth j-j-jiggling it about a bit as Arkwright would say:).

genphreak
11-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Assume your dash lights dont dim or go out when you turn the key or you would have said so. First thing to check is if you are getting a voltage at the small solenoid terminal when you turn the key. If not you need to work back to the key via the starter relay and possibly immobiliser. As its an auto there will be a switch to stop you starting it in anything but P or N. Worth j-j-jiggling it about a bit as Arkwright would say:).

Very good advice there.

If you have no luck you may need to look at the EWS. It is the system that (aka drive away protection) that cause this- it is designed to interrupt the 12V 'crank' signal from position 3 (run starter) on the barrel to the starter solenoid.

But beware, EWS is most reliable. EWS: 25 pages info (http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf#search=)

That said, switching batteries seems to trigger mine every time... (I have another fault to find which is no-doubt root cause: causing no power to the door locks and windows which is not the usual culprits; ie Power Protection Relays, related fuses or the body electrics 80A fuse)

Many people goto the dealer to get their EWS reset, (the modic and other diagnostic tools, not carsoft) can reset an e34 EWS systems.

Note: Your problem will not be however in EWS-Engine coding (you have to change/destroy either the EWS module or the ECU to have this problem)

Your problem may require an EWS reset- check the above link for details.

BTW; Is your battery still charged- or has it run-down overnight?

Tiger
11-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Shift tranny to N to see if it cranks... if yes, then starter safet switch is bad.

barry 90 525i
11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Tried shifting between P and N, still no help. Lights do not go dim when trying to start. I hear a clicking sound from drivers side rear pass every time i go to start. How do they reset ews? Can i take it out of the car and take it to dealer? and how much do they charge for it? Im not real close to the dealer Anything else i can try? Could it just be the starter failed with no warning? Im not real good with electronics but can change anything out, thank you

Tiger
11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Check owner's manual to see if they have any tips on EWS and alarm.

barry 90 525i
11-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Tger, about a year ago u posted that u undid a harness to bypass it and was able to start the motor, could u explain in more detail that?, thanks

Tiger
11-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Oh that! Yeah, I basically disconnected the alarm system so I can start up the car. The alarm box has two harness going into it... I disconnected one harness and the car will start up. Give it a shot.

That wasn't a year ago... more like 6 years ago.

bubba966
11-16-2008, 09:48 PM
What's the build date of this 540? If it's got EWS II it's not so easy to get around.

genphreak
11-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Tried shifting between P and N, still no help. Lights do not go dim when trying to start. I hear a clicking sound from drivers side rear pass every time i go to start. How do they reset ews? Can i take it out of the car and take it to dealer? and how much do they charge for it? Im not real close to the dealer Anything else i can try? Could it just be the starter failed with no warning? Im not real good with electronics but can change anything out, thank you**Don't mess** with EWS. An old Bimmer is not for people that do not get electronics. Don't even take it to anyone who does not know them. Its all about experience. Did you even read the link I posted?

yaofeng
11-17-2008, 06:53 AM
There is nothing to reset on the EWS. Even EWS-I there is nothing to reset. As mentioned I'd not fiddle with EWS-II. And I don't think the alarm goes bad all of a sudden.

Check the battery posts to see if they are tight.

Ferret
11-17-2008, 08:51 AM
**Don't mess** with EWS. An old Bimmer is not for people that do not get electronics. Don't even take it to anyone who does not know them. Its all about experience. Did you even read the link I posted?

Amen to that, EWSII and beyond is NOT defeatable due to the key transponder being coded into the ECU at build time.

The only way to defeat the induction loop key EWS systems is to get a dealer replacement key, or replace the ECU with one out of a non EWS car, or a megasquirt or similar.

I seem to remember genphreak going through this a while ago...

barry 90 525i
11-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I read about the ews and about a 100 other post about no start conditions. The problem is the nearest bmw repair shop is a good distance away and i guess im just looking for some way to figure this out. I have never seen a car just not even crank over before. I apreciate everybodys help here, i guess i will have to rent a trailer and tow it. I just hate having to pay someone to fix something i should be able to do my self.

yaofeng
11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
If you have an multimeter you can diagnose yourself. Check the link out and related posts I did,

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/376761/

When I did the 6 speed conversion a wrong wire connection cost me several months of delay. Turned out the wrong connections burned the wires to the starter to crisp. Your situation is not at all like that. Engine not turning over should not be that complicated an issue to diagnose.

barry 90 525i
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Let me ask you this, i read your post and u asked about the 3 post on the starter, that has me baffled. another said jump the starter, how would i do this and remember , your talking to a idiot. im a aircraft mechanic and can work on the newest jets but can not figure out a BMW. Do i use jumper cables from another battery, and which of the 3 wires do i attach to. I would like to rule out the starter if i can. At least u guys are a lot more friendlier than on bimmerforums. Again thank you

yaofeng
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
If you follow the link I indicated you should be able to test the starter bypassing the starter immobilisation relay. You likely will not start the car with the SIR bypassed. The thick cable to the starter from the battery is always hot. What triggered the starter is the 12 volt wire from ignition (through the SIR on our car but none on traditional non-ft deterrent cars) to the starter solenoid.

Since you are a mechanic it is probably easier for you to remove the starter to bench test it if you are not so electrically inclined.

Tiger
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Edited: Hold on before you have him remove the starter... he can go to the round diagnostic port and remote trigger his starter... I forget which number it is.

I just read the Bentley manual... it said the trouble is the ignition switch if the starter proves to be okay... so test that starter. Use the remote starter or follow the instruction on using the diagnostic port to trigger the starter... I really don't remember what pins is needed to trigger the starter.

yaofeng
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Edited: Hold on before you have him remove the starter... he can go to the round diagnostic port and remote trigger his starter... I forget which number it is.

I just read the Bentley manual... it said the trouble is the ignition switch if the starter proves to be okay... so test that starter. Use the remote starter or follow the instruction on using the diagnostic port to trigger the starter... I really don't remember what pins is needed to trigger the starter.

That's correct. Check this link out,

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/341033/

barry 90 525i
11-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, found out it was the EWS fuse had blown and shut down the car. I towed it to the indy repair place and they found it. I thought i had checked all the fuses, not even sure where that is. Good thing i did not pull the starter. Again thanks for everyones help.

whiskychaser
11-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, found out it was the EWS fuse had blown and shut down the car. I towed it to the indy repair place and they found it. I thought i had checked all the fuses, not even sure where that is. Good thing i did not pull the starter. Again thanks for everyones help.

I feel a bit let down that it was only a fuse. So I'm going to get my own back and ask you what blew it?;)