PDA

View Full Version : Front End Shimmy

sooraj
06-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi,

Around 50 mph there is very noticeable vibration in the front and it goes away or is reduced as I reach 65mph. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is in neutral or in gear. I have four custom wheels made by ROH 7JJX16 and each wheel has an aluminum hub centric ring.

I also notice that the wear is uneven on the tires. Outside wear is slightly more than inside. There is a slight pull to the right. This could just be an alignment issue unrelated to the shimmy.

I have replaced both the Thrust Arms. Replaced the rotors and brake pads on all four wheels. Had the tires/wheels balanced. It was suggested to me that the problem could be with the tires. To me the problem seems too much like mechanical origin rather than tires. I would expect the problem to show up at all speeds if it is with the tires.

Any comments suggestions are appreciated. The car is now undriveable at the most common high way speeds 50-60mph.

Thanks
Sooraj

632 Regal
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
typical problem with these cars, look through the search function of this board and you will get thousands of post regarding the same issue.

Which thrust arms did you use to replace them with? Have you checked the ball joints on the control arms, the tie rod ends, the idler bushing, the steering nut, did you actually watch the tire runout on the balancer machine, have you rotated the wheels/tires to isolate, are the strut inserts old (shocks) etc etc etc... these cars are fussy but there is something or a combonation of things that cause it.

Good luck!

rickm
06-01-2004, 07:39 PM
I had some shimmy until I broke 100k, then it went away. I can now drive along at 55 and it's not annoying. Pretty odd.

sooraj
06-05-2004, 11:20 AM
The car now has 116K miles. I had this problem for a while. I thought that this could be because of the tires. Changed the tires (now around 30K miles on these tires), rotated and balanced the tires, replaced the thrust arms with Lemforder. Replaced the rotors and brake pads on all four wheels. Still the shimmy is there. There is uneven wear on the tires. Slightly more wear on the outside. Will be going to the dealer to get the alignment done.

632 Regal
06-05-2004, 10:51 PM
these cars do wear at the outside front and the inside rears, I think you have bent rims or out of round tires. Even after my substantially long ordeal with my friend Chris at discount tire and got a free replacement of the tires for only $420.00 even one of the Conti extreames was out of round. I think I raised enough hell so they got me a "round" one in a couple days...night and day mann.