PDA

View Full Version : cabin filter installation instructions

shogun
11-14-2008, 02:52 AM
for the startes with E34 :)
http://www.black7er.com/downloads/mikrofilterwechseln.pdf

Jehu
11-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Time already to replace the one which replaced this. Windshield isn't defogging well.. do you like activated charcoal version or not?

http://home.comcast.net/~cpkver8/images/cabinfilter.JPG

attack eagle
11-14-2008, 05:36 AM
no. costs a lot more, and still needs to be changed annually,

that pdf has some differences compared to the e34.

follow mine Jehu. will only take you 20 minutes or so to complete

BMWCCA1
11-14-2008, 08:13 AM

follow mine Jehu. will only take you 20 minutes or so to completeI'm already proficient at it, but others might benefit from your tutorial. The E34 is a bit unique! ;) Was there supposed to be a link in your reply?

Actually, now that I've switched to a browser that will open a PDF, I see the instructions in the first link are for both 5 and 7-series cars. One thing I might add, at least on my 10/95 production car, I found it easier to remove the limit "switch" that sits toward the front of the car from the filter housing, just to get the wiring loom and those blue, white, and black connectors out of the way. Just press up on the lever and slide it out.

Tiger
11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Activated charcoal? I didn't even know that exist... where do you buy it? That would get rid of 'crayon' smell in the car... and keep it smelling nice.

Montreal525
11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I wash mine every spring. I shake the dust off, spray it with the K&N filter cleaner stuff, let it sit a while then I rince it out with hot water. I inspect it to see if there are any rips or tears but none so far and it turns out like new and no bizarre smell...

Jeff

Jehu
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
no. costs a lot more, and still needs to be changed annually,

follow mine Jehu. will only take you 20 minutes or so to complete

I've done mine many times already...could do it blindfolded but i use the recycle setting frequently becasue I have been unsuccessfull in getting the mildew smell eliminated even with the bleach spray so mine gets clogged quickly.

Jehu
11-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Activated charcoal? I didn't even know that exist... where do you buy it? That would get rid of 'crayon' smell in the car... and keep it smelling nice.

Found it while shopping Pelican parts (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE34/POR_BE34_BASflt_pg4.htm#item15)

Tiger
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I'll pay that... extra $10 for charcoal... better for our health and nicer smelling car.

Tiger
11-14-2008, 03:42 PM
What you need is evaporator cleaner stuff... I got extra over here... you fill up the evaporator. heater core with the whole can of foaming spray and have your AC on while you are doing this... eventually everything get washed out and nice smelling. This is best done in the spring or summer so the evaporator will catch water and wash out the foam detergent.

They want you to inject the evaporator area via the drain plug... I find whatever way I can to inject them in.

Jehu
11-14-2008, 03:51 PM
What you need is evaporator cleaner stuff... I got extra over here... you fill up the evaporator. heater core with the whole can of foaming spray and have your AC on while you are doing this... eventually everything get washed out and nice smelling. This is best done in the spring or summer so the evaporator will catch water and wash out the foam detergent.

They want you to inject the evaporator area via the drain plug... I find whatever way I can to inject them in.

When I was replacing the interior after welding my floorboard i cinched the rubber hose where it fits over the drain spout from the Air-Box with a zip tie because it used to leak presumably when the hose became the home of some web spinning insects . You mean you just spray it into the air box and cover everything inside with the foam? One could remove the Carpet Panel revealing the Downspout/Hose and pull the Hose off and if you can attach a small hose to the spray can somehow would that work? I've just been diluting bleach and spraying it in the grill at the base of the windshield with the blower on full. Works a little for a short while but the growth must be deeper inside than the Bleach can reach.

Tiger
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM
This can comes with a super long hose to inject into whereever you can... it works while the AC is on and blower on high and windows shut in the car... of course, no one inside the car... You inject the whole can into the evaporator box and let it work... it will completely fill the box with foam and then over time condense into liquid and drains out. I'll go pull out the name that I bought. I got like 4 cans left... bought a box worth.