PDA

View Full Version : How do you start the car when you have a problem with the wires

Mordan
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Hello,

I can't start the car anymore. Contact lights work. But nothing when I want to crank the engine. I know it is electrical because I messed up something down in the dash.

Can I start the car with a wire from the positive of the battery to the positive of the starter motor? Is it dangerous?

What are the other ways to start the engine in order to troubleshoot problems?

thx

tim eh?
11-10-2008, 03:40 PM
it's not necessarily the starter.... how is the battery voltage?

edit- sorry, i shouldn't have posted... misunderstood your post.

whiskychaser
11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I can't start the car anymore. Contact lights work. But nothing when I want to crank the engine. I know it is electrical because I messed up something down in the dash.

Can I start the car with a wire from the positive of the battery to the positive of the starter motor? Is it dangerous?

What are the other ways to start the engine in order to troubleshoot problems?

thx

This is a bit like asking 'can you help me steal a car please?':-) You already have a great big power lead from the battery to the starter. All the solenoid does is connect that lead to a down lead into the starter itself. So you can jumper the two terminals and the engine will crank regardless of whether you have a key in the ignition. What it wont do is power up your systems (DME etc) to enable you to get fuel and a spark to the engine. But if it does fire up at least you know where to look to fix it:)

Mordan
11-10-2008, 04:58 PM
This is a bit like asking 'can you help me steal a car please?':-) You already have a great big power lead from the battery to the starter. All the solenoid does is connect that lead to a down lead into the starter itself. So you can jumper the two terminals and the engine will crank regardless of whether you have a key in the ignition. What it wont do is power up your systems (DME etc) to enable you to get fuel and a spark to the engine. But if it does fire up at least you know where to look to fix it:)

battery is 12,45V... it is alarm related... I'm trying to steal my own car :)

I have just read I can jumper ignition switch to solenoid

but I prefer your solution.. so to recap
to start my car
1-put key in ignition switch
2-jumper the + side of starter with small connector of solenoid
3-the car starts and off you go.

I hope my ****ed up alarm doesn't screw around with something else.

if anyone has a picture of the + side of the starter and the connector of the solenoid to which I have to jumper, i would appreciate it errr my car would love her battery not to explode :)

can I touch the jumper wire bare hands without dying? :p

Tiger
11-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Actually, you can trigger the starter from the top... the round diagnostic plug... but don't know on your older model.

Ross
11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Actually, you can trigger the starter from the top... the round diagnostic plug... but don't know on your older model.

Jumping #11(starter solenoid) & #14(12v)will turn the starter motor

632 Regal
11-10-2008, 11:41 PM
but will the ignition work?

Mordan
11-11-2008, 06:55 AM

that is smart man! I see the #11 pin and #14 pin are the same on my 15 pins connector

will the engine start if the ignition switch is in run position?

by the way, on the 15pins connector, pin #15 is power supply for ignition

Ross
11-11-2008, 08:12 AM
that is smart man! I see the #11 pin and #14 pin are the same on my 15 pins connector

will the engine start if the ignition switch is in run position?

by the way, on the 15pins connector, pin #15 is power supply for ignition

I didn't look into which pin for ignition, if you say it's #15 then so be it.
Either turn the key on or use a jumper for the ign also.