PDA

View Full Version : Trying to sell the 5, can I get everyones input?

BFEINZIMER
11-09-2008, 08:35 PM
EDIT: All new page. New input please :D I tried to cut down and make it simple, I know its still long :(

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/912752133.html

How outrageously high is my price?

BMWCCA1
11-09-2008, 08:57 PM
At the very least you should put "BMW" in the title of the ad, and probably just "1990 BMW 535i: $4000" a let it go at that. Leave the body of the ad to explain, not the title.

I think the price is pretty high but then I'm not in California. I don't know how much cheaper these cars can get though, but I'm even seeing quite a few E39s now around five-grand . . . with no body damage.

Rick L
11-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Add "BMW" in the title line. Probably the most important key word and it's missing. And you should add few photos in the ad even though you mentioned you can provide many photos but that's what draws interest. I believe you can add 4 pictures in CL.

BFEINZIMER
11-09-2008, 11:36 PM
My picasa was messed up all the pics are there now. Sry! Whatta think? I prob made it too high :P

BMWDriver
11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
Very nice pics. I'd say at least put one of the interior, and you could loose one or two of the exterior. I personnaly prefer manual, and an inside pic would tell that story real quick. I look at the pics first, and if I like what I see I might look at the text - when I shop anyway that's what I do.

A big paragraph like that is a turn off (makes me impatient anyway). So I haven't read it. Keep it simpler I think.

I think it's hard to put value without seeing the inside. Good condition leather can make a difference in my opinion. I'd have to replace my own seats (one's torn), the front ones, so good leather has value in my eyes.

Too bad about the dents, but no rust is still a great thing.

I'm such a perfectionnist that you should not heed everything I say here.

Good luck with the sale !

632 Regal
11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
dont see any pics, lose the long paragraph, keep it simple. If interested they will call if not they will go away. Simple sells on CL period.

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 01:57 AM
New ad with your input take into account. Thanks guys.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/912752133.html

632 Regal
11-10-2008, 02:14 AM
no no no ****ing no! im asking 3500-4000 whats that say right there? youll take 3500 then pecked down to what 3K or 2500? my goodness where can I stop here, I cant reading your ad it says your going to give it away if I can even read that far. Sorry your ad sucks dude.

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 02:31 AM
regal pm sent

Ross
11-10-2008, 07:24 AM
I've seen your posts elsewhere for it. As for sale threads are not for discussion I've not commented. Since you ask here I'll tell you what I think.
You are selling a salvaged car with a thousand dollars worth of body damage and needing mechanical repairs also if I recall. This fits my definition of a parts car.
The wheels, while precious to you, add little value and should be sold seperately.
The price you seek would buy an undamaged car with out major issues, not too far from my ask for a nice 540/6.
If you are commited to selling the price needs to be way lower.

Ross
11-10-2008, 07:47 AM
How about;
BMW '90 535i Green with tan leather, automatic trans (overhauled at XXXmiles). 158k miles with regular oil changes, recent radiator and brakes.
Light damage to two panels, the paint is unbroken.
Runs well ( it does right?) call to view.

Don't mention the salvage title yet, half the callers are flakes or no shows anyway. You need to cover it but wait for serious inquiries. Hopefully your circumstance for the salvage title wasn't a major catastrophy. Unfortunately even if it was from a keyscratch the stigma remains.
Good luck

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Hm thanks for the sugestion Ross....what should my starting price be? I think I'll keep the T-stars, so a stock wheel price? Should I keep the last pic showing the damage?

And btw, the salvage is only because of the visible damage...nothing hidden.

tim eh?
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Hm thanks for the sugestion Ross....what should my starting price be? I think I'll keep the T-stars, so a stock wheel price? Should I keep the last pic showing the damage?

i still don't follow the logic in selling this and buying a honda, and i can't comment on the price, we're in totally different markets.

but i think you should leave the damage shot in, that way you're not wasting anyone's time, and less people will waste yours.

i agree sell the wheels seperately but you could make a 'special price just for you' if the car buyer is interested.

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
lol id rather not try to explain myself again but I need something cheaper. can you elaborate more on the "special price". how much do you gusy think its worth, with the stock wheels?

tim eh?
11-10-2008, 03:52 PM
lol id rather not try to explain myself again but I need something cheaper. can you elaborate more on the "special price". how much do you gusy think its worth, with the stock wheels?

:D wasn't asking you to explain, just my opinion...

honestly prices are way different here, but i think that car will vary in value depending on whether it sells as a parts car or a fixerupper anyway.

depends how fast you need to sell it i think if you wait a couple years someone might even offer you 5 grand.

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I need to sell it asap so I can get as much cash for another car. Its NOT a parts car, it runs fine and drives perfectly. lol but yea I need some CA prices.

tim eh?
11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
... I need some CA prices.

just make sure you don't accept CA currency! :D

it wouldn't necessarily go for more... here there's a bit less supply and a bit less demand so i think the market swings a little more.

and here rust counts for more than dents.

BMWCCA1
11-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Then you must have bought it with the salvage title?

repenttokyo
11-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I bought my car with similar damage to yours on the body, and higher mileage. I paid 2,500 for it, and it is a 91 with the M50. These are Canadian prices.

This is going to hurt, but your car is worth less than 2k with that damage.

Ross
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
F%$%^^G insurance companies. You have a salvage title which is a big friggin demerit over light damage. They should pay dimunition of value if they are going to brand the title. SALVAGE will scare away so many people. Rant over, for now.

Keep the pictures. No sense in wasting your time as well a potential buyer who would otherwise assume no damage. For someone like me who has to pay others for the talent required for such repairs it looks expensive. For someone who does bodywork all day it is peanuts and wont be a big deal. The pics might attract such a person who will rightfully expect some discount but not be scared off by it.
Hard to establish a price without seeing it in the flesh. Without major issues and in stock trim without the damage I'd estimate a $2000-$2500 car. Don't place a value on the damage, let the buyer do it. The price of body repairs is a nasty surprise to most people who tend to underestimate it.
Don't dwell on your modifications either. The less personalized it is the easier it will sell.
Several here will clamor for your wheels which will subsidize any discount you'll pony up for the body damage.
Good luck with it
Edit I see you are in California. Most of th ecars I've noticed your way have way more miles, so perhaps you'll do okay. Being in a hurry isn't in your favor though. Set a realistic bottom dollar in your mind, when someone is close just spill and let 'em know $XXX take it or leave it.

BFEINZIMER
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
No, the car will now have a salvage title on the next registration due to the accident in August of this year.

Im thinking of keeping the pics, using ross's description and just saying it will come with the stock wheels, for $2500. Sound good?

repenttokyo
11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
No, the car will now have a salvage title on the next registration due to the accident in August of this year.

Im thinking of keeping the pics, using ross's description and just saying it will come with the stock wheels, for $2500. Sound good?

i think it's optimistic - but I think your attitude should be to take whatever you can get and be happy with that. sometimes it's worth it just to get the car out of your hands.

BMWCCA1
11-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Very few BMWs in good running condition are ever worth less than $2500. The reality is there are always several available at that price and the nicest just go first.

BFEINZIMER
11-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Some guy called today and offered $1800. Do you think my price of $2500 is too high? Honestly...?

repenttokyo
11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Some guy called today and offered $1800. Do you think my price of $2500 is too high? Honestly...?

it's your personal financial situation that will determine that. I wouldn't pay 2500 for your car....Take the money and run and be happy the issue is closed.

BFEINZIMER
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Guy bought another car. And I guess I just figured out I have to re-register the car again as a salvage. And I paid my fees dam 2 days before the accident. Ugh.

BMWCCA1
11-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Why do you have a salvage title if you owned the car when the accident occurred? Is your state weird about that stuff or something?

BFEINZIMER
11-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Yea, the insurance paid me, so now it has a salvage title.

Definition of a salvage vehicle.

A salvage vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged to such extent that the insurance company considers it uneconomical to make repairs to the vehicle and the vehicle is not repaired by or for the person who owned the vehicle when the damage occurred.
The California title will contain a notation identifying this vehicle as a salvage vehicle.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2530

Ross
11-14-2008, 07:11 AM
So you turned the title over to them?

Ross
11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Offers over the phone are worthless anyway, usually someone who will lowball further once present. This assumes you have a fair asking price, which I believe you do.
When I get these jerkoffs who immediately try for 30% or more price reduction I always say I will consider it, come see me with cash in hand. More often than not they don't show. Must be practicing negotiation tactics for when they actually have money to spend.
Given the body damage to your car a genuine offer in that neighborhood seems about right though.

attack eagle
11-15-2008, 07:31 PM
salvage title = 50-60% off market price for a car in equal condition, or $1000 bucks, whichever is more.

BFEINZIMER
11-17-2008, 02:21 AM
I may spend $20 to fix the sagging bumper. It looks as if #8 & #9 are broken on the drivers side (see realoem link below) as well as the splash guard in the wheel wells in both sides. I want to fix this but am afraid everything is holding due to compression but I don't know. I think I'll try to fix it but will havta find another local e34 guys with front end experience. Another board member contacted me and I offered $2k solid and he won't be available to buy for a few weeks, which works since I can't sell for another 30 or so days because I have to deal with the DMV and get a new title. Ugh. Any ideas with the front end issue?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=51_0614&hg=51&fg=15