PDA

View Full Version : 2003 530i Overheating Problem

vince
11-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm trying to help someone who's not on this list. He has a 2003 530i with 50,000 miles that has been having an overheating problem. His local dealer, which has been so-so in the past is diagnosing a warped head, etc. I am tempted to agree, but this is very low mileage and I'm wondering if there is something else that might be causing it as I'm not familiar with the new engines.

Thanks for any info I can pass along,

vince

632 Regal
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
hey Vince, back to basics of over heating. Is air in system, clutch fan, radiator? How is the car running, when does it overheat etc etc.

Rick L
11-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Yep... More information regarding issue, better others can help.

winfred
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
same **** different day on the later engines, they have a multi layer steel gasket and don't blow easily but the head can and does warp, the bitch with doing a head on that motor is the bolts are likely to pull the threads out of the block, had it happen to me about half way though the first 90* pull 5 bolts in on torquing it down, i now have the jig to drill out the block and install timeserts in the bolt holes and do so on all jobs on aluminum blocks before they strip out

as for over heating they have one of the shittyist cooling systems available on a bmw with a ungodly amount of leak points, if the system is full the thermostat is functional and the pisser tube is not clogged (top of the left tank to the bottle) look for air in the system from a blown gasket, they are self purging provided the pisser is clear, a air compressor and a compression gauge with the industry standard acme quick connect to hook to a air line (remove the schrader valve from the end of the compression tester hose) and you can test for the blown gasket by pressurizing the cylinders one at a time watching for the coolant to rise (top the coolant all of the way to the top to see it easy) you will need to roll the engine over to get the valves closed on the cylinder you are testing, just hook up the air and roll it over till it gets hard and watch the water, if it doesn't rise after 10-20 seconds it's likely ok and move on to the next hole