PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Ground setup`

Tiger
11-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I am starting a new thread regarding the extra daisy chained grounding setup for our cars. It was brought to our attention by Bubba966 and I thought I'd give it a shot on my 540i.

I used the scrap 8 gauge wire I have laying around and started to install it. I initially thought the valve cover bolt/nut should be enough to do but I was wrong. The nut itself is not conductive to electricity and was proven with my multimeter. In fact, there is not many places where we can get to actual grounding easily on the 540i.

I ended up just grounding from the last coil pack bolt on driver side to the power steering nut. Outstanding contact there. There is two grounding points on the driver fender as you can see all those brown wires. I didn't hook it up there because of my short scrap wire.

Some thing I noticed upon starting up. First of all, it starts up quicker... almost instantaneous... it takes a couple of seconds to start my car from cold.

As the engine warms up, it got smoother and smoother. Our V8 are notorious for those rocking due to the cams that are on our car... but boy... it really knocked it down alot. The revving is quick response... before it seems like there is a lag.

In any case, I need everyone to collaborate on this simple project. Where is easy grounding points on our V8? The coil packs thing does affect the way our cover sits... right now it is propped open a bit by the 8 gauge wire.

From the info Bubba966 showed...
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/alpinaboard-com-bmw-alpina-discussion/73857-ground-wires-improve-idling-throttle-acceleration.html

There has to be 5 or 6 points of grounding... so let's try to get it right for our car. I am also doing three subthreads for Inline 6 M50 and M20/30 and the V8...

Tiger
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
The V8 Ground project... This thread for the V8 owners...

The valve cover is definitely not a grounding point... it is a very poor contact due to gasket and the non-conducting nuts they used. The studs however are good grounds.

Right now I am using the last coil pack nut as grounding point.

Tiger
11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
The M50 Group... I think these group have just as hard as the V8 to ground the engine.

Tiger
11-09-2008, 02:54 PM
The M20/M30 Group... I think you guys got the easiest grounding project. However, I think it is important that you also include your coil pack as a grounding point... so don't forget about this part.

bad_manners_god
11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Seen this awhile back, think it might help for a clean install:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/UNIVERSAL-BMW-EARTH-GROUNDING-GROUND-WIRES-SYSTEM-KIT_W0QQitemZ310096718361QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 10096718361&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Maybe talk them into doing a group buy

Tiger
11-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow... that is so cheap... $28 shipped to US?

bad_manners_god
11-09-2008, 11:26 PM

And it looks nice too in the engine bay

632 Regal
11-10-2008, 01:09 AM
what 7 things are being grounded?

bad_manners_god
11-10-2008, 01:20 AM
what 7 things are being grounded?

1 Directly from the Battery to the "Distributor" (Might be a bit tricky for the battery under the back seat)

I would assume the critical components:

Engine Block
Transmission
Alternator
Intake Manifold/Throttle Body
Ignition Coil
Another Engine Ground or something else

attack eagle
11-10-2008, 01:27 AM
oh jesus. it has infected you too? what's next, rotary exhaust tips to improve throttle response?

They don't do anything unless your factory grounds are worn/corroded/defective, in which case simply correcting or reinforcing the engine to chassis ground would do the same thing.

coils fire to the HEAD not the vc.

Ferret
11-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Why not use a timing chain cover bolt, bellhousing or starter bolt or just replace the original ground strap?

Almost all auto parts places will supply a decent replacement ground strap for cheap. This will act a as a drop in replacement for most vehicles.

Interestingly I've noticed that as the cold weather is setting in, the starter on my V8 has slowed down a little, and the car's not charging quite right. A decent replacement strap may be just the thing.

Tiger
11-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I checked my grounding with the multimeter... from the factory ignition coil ground strap... it reads 0.01... so why such a change when I hook up an additional ground strap from the coil pack to the chassis? Explain that to me.

Why did that car start quicker? Multimeter said nothing is wrong... so tell me why it changed?

Why not try one stupid wire on your car... and see for yourself... Even a 12 gauge wire is enough to tell you if there is any change.

Tiger
11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Same deal here... when cold, seems like starter crank over slower. I thought it was bad starter too... but in spring and summer, it is faster. I have a spare one ready to slap in if it conks out.

I was trying to find things up on the top to ground without getting underneath the car.

attack eagle
11-10-2008, 12:52 PM
I checked my grounding with the multimeter... from the factory ignition coil ground strap... it reads 0.01... so why such a change when I hook up an additional ground strap from the coil pack to the chassis? Explain that to me.

Why did that car start quicker? Multimeter said nothing is wrong... so tell me why it changed?

Why not try one stupid wire on your car... and see for yourself... Even a 12 gauge wire is enough to tell you if there is any change.

0 change here on the 525i, numerous 4g63T, an h22, a b16, an mgb1.8, 350 chevy, 5.9L dodge, etc etc etc.

I have never ever ever seen a change. I have never ever seen a change on the dyno either. 3hp is basically dyno error.

2nd start is always faster than the first...

0.01 is not great, btw. especially when you are not passing a lot of amperage. If you really feel it does something, ground the block itself to the chassis.