PDA

View Full Version : Car not cranking.

Ken35i
11-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey Dudes,

I've done a search on this but I can't find the exact problem...i think. But if it's been done before, please link.

For the past 2 days when I turn the key to start the car the engine doesn't crank. It has started maybe 2 times total in the past 2 days, other times it has cranked then stopped cranking (like the battery didn't have enough charge to keep it going) but mostly not cranking at all. Though when I turn the key to possition 2 (possition just before cranking) I hear the 2 clicks coming from the starter and a 'humm' which is normal (is that right)

The battery is new and charged measuring about 12 volts. I only have an old analog multimeter. I've measured accross the battery terminals, starter solenoid connections and alternator all measuring the same as the battery (~12 volts). The OBC test #9 is measuring just under 12 volts.

Another thing I have done is hooked up jumper leads from another car (running) and the OBC is reading over 13 volts; but still no cranking.

Is it a non-functioning starter solenoid or somthing else?

Ken35i
11-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Holy ****. I re-read the Bentley manual, read that if the head light are on and DO NOT dim when one turns the key to start the car, the solenoid may be faulty. Is there anything else I can check to verify this?
Oh and this is happening...

ArnZ!
11-08-2008, 03:49 AM
yeh mate sounds like your solinoid on ya start has had it. try tapping it while cranking

russiankid
11-08-2008, 07:56 PM
How are your battery terminals. I once had a poor connection and everything worked except the starter. I replaced the starter and still the same thing.Then my brother helped me out and replaced the terminal and she fired right up.

This wasn't on a BMW though.

Ken35i
11-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Terminals are in good nick. Being under the seat and all away from the elements.

Thanks for the reply, guys.

Zeppa
11-09-2008, 03:41 AM
fusable links ?
also your battery voltage should be higher than 12v , more like 12.75 . Try a quick charge on it before you rip the starter apart .

Ken35i
11-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I hooked another car up via jumper leads and the voltage was around 13 volts it still didn't crank. I thought with faulty fusable links other things wouldn't work properly, eg wipers.

632 Regal
11-10-2008, 01:11 AM
might be the wires at the starter or the starter itself.

Kibokojoe
11-10-2008, 09:17 PM
use a hammer and have some one smack the solenoid and starter while you turn the ignition on

Hey Dudes,

I've done a search on this but I can't find the exact problem...i think. But if it's been done before, please link.

For the past 2 days when I turn the key to start the car the engine doesn't crank. It has started maybe 2 times total in the past 2 days, other times it has cranked then stopped cranking (like the battery didn't have enough charge to keep it going) but mostly not cranking at all. Though when I turn the key to possition 2 (possition just before cranking) I hear the 2 clicks coming from the starter and a 'humm' which is normal (is that right)

The battery is new and charged measuring about 12 volts. I only have an old analog multimeter. I've measured accross the battery terminals, starter solenoid connections and alternator all measuring the same as the battery (~12 volts). The OBC test #9 is measuring just under 12 volts.

Another thing I have done is hooked up jumper leads from another car (running) and the OBC is reading over 13 volts; but still no cranking.

Is it a non-functioning starter solenoid or somthing else?