PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Drain Plugs

Jerry AZ 91 525ia
06-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I got my 91 525ia and try to replace coolant myself for the first time. From Bentley's and Bruno's web site, there are 2 drain plugs, one under radiator and one at the rear of the engine block. The radiator drain plug seems easy to access. But I am unable to reach the engine block drain plug. Honestly, I am not exactly sure where the 19mm drain plug is. Anyone has a picture or drawing to show the plug? Or I have to go under the car to access it?

By the way, I live in Phoenix, AZ. Is 0W40 oil (recommended by the BMW board) is too thin for the car in the hot climate? Also any good private BMW shops in Phoenix/Scottsdale AZ area?

Thanks,

Jerry (91 525ia)

Dave M
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Unless you fancy youself an accomplished prestidigitator, you'll likey have to crawl beneath the vehicle. The best I could scrounge up was this pic of the pass. side of tranny/engine. The bolt is somewhere past the end of my arrow, can't miss it. The exhaust manifold is removed in the pic, so you have to reach in behind there to access the bolt. You'll have to raise the front end and, if memory serves, a lengthy extension comes in handy.

Watch out for the waterworks when you finally get the bolt, do it outside if possible and pets beware.

Dave M

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Valve%20Cover%20Gasket/drain_plug_dir.jpg

Mr Project
06-01-2004, 06:56 PM
As mentioned, the drain plug looks just like a bolt going into the block, and it's located about 3-4 inches below and 1 or 2 inches forward of the #6 exhaust port. IIRC, of course.

andyman32
10-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Ok, "below #6, exhaust side" is straighforward enough on the M50. How about M62? I see LOTS of bolts... not sure which one is it. Can anyone describe the location on the V8?

Thanks -

black_bird_blue
01-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok, "below #6, exhaust side" is straighforward enough on the M50. How about M62? I see LOTS of bolts... not sure which one is it. Can anyone describe the location on the V8?

Thanks -

Er, yes, indeed. Can anyone describe the location on the V8?

Thanks in advance,

Damian

wengenstein
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Yep. On the block there are two plugs, one on each side, placed symetrically towards the center of the block. Spotting the one on the right (passenger side) is a little easier. It's right above and in front of the starter, near the casting number. The other one is in the same position on the other side of the block.

(and the rad-drain plug is at the bottom left hand corner of the radiator)

You may find this thread useful:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7853&page=1&pp=10

Dennis

Er, yes, indeed. Can anyone describe the location on the V8?

Thanks in advance,

Damian

black_bird_blue
02-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Yep. On the block there are two plugs, one on each side, placed symetrically towards the center of the block.
Dennis

Surprisingly high on the block but I found them today with the car on a pit. Thanks!

Damian