PDA

View Full Version : Hesitating when cold & lighting warning lamp

E34-520iSE
11-05-2008, 02:56 PM
When I start my car up from cold it runs ok, but as I start to drive it I have to give it a bit of extra throttle to keep it running, which is no real issue, just unusual. For the first mile or so of driving I sometimes 'feel' the engine momentarily die and see the BRAKE FLUID light come on when I take my foot of the throttle. Anyone seen this before?

Cheers,

Shaun M

Ferret
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
When I start my car up from cold it runs ok, but as I start to drive it I have to give it a bit of extra throttle to keep it running, which is no real issue, just unusual. For the first mile or so of driving I sometimes 'feel' the engine momentarily die and see the BRAKE FLUID light come on when I take my foot of the throttle. Anyone seen this before?

Cheers,

Shaun M

If it's having trouble start up running when the airs cold you've either got a manifold leak or a duff coolant/air temp sensor.

Quickly whip around with the multimeter and have a looksee!

I'd also be eyeing up your battery, the brake warning could be caused by either the alternator or the battery having a brown out condition - these cars are hugely sensitive to voltage bouncing up and down!

E34-520iSE
11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks Ferret, some good tips there. I'll check the temp sensor over the next couple of days and check for any low-voltage issues on startup & cold running. Maybe my alternator doesn't like cold & damp weather anymore lol!

Cheers!

Shaun M