PDA

View Full Version : An interesting alternative to the e34?! Thoughts?

e34.535i.sport
11-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi guys. Just getting the itch for a change in mobile (and for a little more go to be honest) and I've been considering looking into an e34 540i. However in browsing around the internet I came across some superb examples of the Jaguar XJR that were ratehr affordable. I wasn't really looking to spend this much but something like this would be the dream: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/735917.htm

It's the only other car, besides the e34, that I would be interested in because I'm very picky over styling etc so there are very few cars I do like the look of.

I don't know how much people here will know about these cars in particular but just wanted to go out on a limb and see if anyone has any input/experience with these? I do know some of the V8 Jags suffered from the Nikasil problem in a similar way to the m60...

From what I read these cars are renound for reliability, but I was worried about it being supercharged as I don't know much about this to be honest - are they normally reliable? Costly to fix/maintain? Would I be expecting to spend more/less on general running costs over the course of the year? I know it's not going to be an economical motor fuel wise, but I'm used to that by now. :D The way i'm thinking of it is I'd be buying a newer car which should 'technically' require less/the same general maintenance as the current vehicle my much loved 535i.

So, what do you think?

Dave M
11-03-2008, 05:39 PM
I know nothing about these things other than what I just learned from looking at the photos ;)

Hmm, rear end is a bit, how we say.... "Crown Victoria"

No problem doing oil changes without ramps. likely due to the 20 " detroit alloys wheels

OK, now that I've been 'that guy', can you tell us a bit about the drivetrain?

Best of luck in your search,

Dave

pingu
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I reckon it depends on how much you've sunk on maintenance into your car. For example, on mine I've had the common faults (water pump, radiator, shocks all round, whining autobox etc etc) sorted and now it's reliable and cheap to run (except that is for being a 4 litre V8). That Jag certainly seems good value but would you then not have to start afresh sorting out all the Jag's niggling problems?

repenttokyo
11-03-2008, 06:10 PM
I like the XJR. In North America, they are super cheap. I would not buy one, bc there is no manual transmission available. But that is my personal preference. I find the styling to be superb.

I don't see it as being comparable to the E34, however. 7-Series, yes.

filip00
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
i think this car is great. price isn't bad, and it's in the same class as the e39m5. in my opinion, a decent replacement for the e34, with all due respect.

repenttokyo
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
i think this car is great. price isn't bad, and it's in the same class as the e39m5. in my opinion, a decent replacement for the e34, with all due respect.

with an auto tranny and that chassis, it's not exactly in the same class as an e39 M5 ;)

filip00
11-03-2008, 06:43 PM
with an auto tranny and that chassis, it's not exactly in the same class as an e39 M5 ;)

hey...it can't come close to the m5, but it's made to be a competitor to m5 ;)

Tiger
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Umm... a Jag? Isn't that a moneypit car that the Brits are proud of?

repenttokyo
11-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Umm... a Jag? Isn't that a moneypit car that the Brits are proud of?

by 2000, ford had sorted out reliability issues. My Uncle's XK8 has no problems.

attack eagle
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
it's a damn pretty ford.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/jaguar-xjr/

I think it is more like the Jag's version of the mercury marauder, than competition for any bmw. power, plush ride, styling.

repenttokyo
11-03-2008, 09:50 PM
it's a damn pretty ford.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/jaguar-xjr/

I think it is more like the Jag's version of the mercury marauder, than competition for any bmw. power, plush ride, styling.

there is absolutely no connection between the Panther platform used for the Mercury Marauder and the XJR. None.

I dunno if you have ever been in a late 90's / early 2000's Jaguar while it has been driven hard, but the dynamics are there. It's excellent competition to the 740.

attack eagle
11-03-2008, 10:03 PM
I didnt say there was any platform connection other than conceptual. the concept is the same. big power in a plush riding cruiser, maybe a little tighter but still not a firmly sprung low roll center car.

740's are good cruisers, and a bit tighter, but you make my point FOR me.
the jag is smaller, less spacious, less luxurious, less finely built, and yet can only drive almost as well as a 740...

The only jags worth owning have inline engines, roadster tops, and were all built before 1967. xk120, xk140, xke. buy one, and you won't loose any money.

late 90's jags don't even hold a candle to even the sl600 when you want to get twisty on the backroads.

Rick L
11-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Very nice! This JAG looks like it has optional BBS 19s and they are very expensive option. Yep! JAG V8 had the same issue with Nikasil from 97 to 2000. It's best to go with 2001. Jaguar V8 also had timing tensioner issues. But most likely they were replaced in recall. I believe V8 used Paxton superchargers, same as the Fords. They are very reliable. Best thing about the Jag is the British craftsmanship of fine leather and wood details. But the car is very heavy and doesn't corner well but they are fast in a straight line and could do low 5s to 60! Pretty impressive for heavy car. And love those lines of 300 and 308 series! I still love mine... :D

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/Jaguar.JPG

Hi guys. Just getting the itch for a change in mobile (and for a little more go to be honest) and I've been considering looking into an e34 540i. However in browsing around the internet I came across some superb examples of the Jaguar XJR that were ratehr affordable. I wasn't really looking to spend this much but something like this would be the dream: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/735917.htm

It's the only other car, besides the e34, that I would be interested in because I'm very picky over styling etc so there are very few cars I do like the look of.

I don't know how much people here will know about these cars in particular but just wanted to go out on a limb and see if anyone has any input/experience with these? I do know some of the V8 Jags suffered from the Nikasil problem in a similar way to the m60...

From what I read these cars are renound for reliability, but I was worried about it being supercharged as I don't know much about this to be honest - are they normally reliable? Costly to fix/maintain? Would I be expecting to spend more/less on general running costs over the course of the year? I know it's not going to be an economical motor fuel wise, but I'm used to that by now. :D The way i'm thinking of it is I'd be buying a newer car which should 'technically' require less/the same general maintenance as the current vehicle my much loved 535i.

So, what do you think?

Rick L
11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
You would be surprised!!! See Fifth Gear... M5 vs. XJR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkM7PhvxMkY

repenttokyo
11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
I didnt say there was any platform connection other than conceptual. the concept is the same. big power in a plush riding cruiser, maybe a little tighter but still not a firmly sprung low roll center car.

740's are good cruisers, and a bit tighter, but you make my point FOR me.
the jag is smaller, less spacious, less luxurious, less finely built, and yet can only drive almost as well as a 740...

The only jags worth owning have inline engines, roadster tops, and were all built before 1967. xk120, xk140, xke. buy one, and you won't loose any money.

late 90's jags don't even hold a candle to even the sl600 when you want to get twisty on the backroads.

i don't agree with a lot of what was in the review you posted, so I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

Sam-Son
11-04-2008, 02:12 AM
alternative to an E34?
if i couldnt have an E34 id prolly go for an E30
hell i may still get an E30:p

Ross
11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Number one issue to keep in mind is the resale of nearly any late model Jag is ****. They suffer from a deserved reputation as unreliable and expensive to keep running.
Don't believe me? Have a look at the "service" history of used examples offered for sale. It will consist mostly of costly repairs, not maintenance.
Ford's stewardship improved build quality but at the expense of the hand built character that was Jag's only redeeming quality. The Lumber and hides are still there, along with Ford's parts bin.
The Jag store near my home is a friggin' ghost town. Too bad really because it looks like the latest model was a step in the right direction. With current ownership in India the pedigree is further mongrelized.
If you can score a good example and have no expectations of selling it again they are still pretty cars. However BMW makes it look like a booger in all regards except , depending on your taste, style.

e34.535i.sport
11-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Interesting to hear so many different views there, mine is purely biased on the looks of the thing and the figures - 370BHP, rear wheel drive, 525NM of torque, 0-60 in 5 seconds... Impressive in my eyes!

It's the jag interior too that attracts me as the e34 seems to lack in this department if I'm honest, although it does make up for it in so many other ways! :)

Am I right in assuming that I will be able to service this as I do mine? I've only really ever worked on this car (my e34) but I would hope the theory applies to all cars, it's just the logistics that are different.

Rick - Nice! Looks like you keep that thing well maintained... How do you find living with it day to day?

Tiger
11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Cornering probably can be improved with new Eibach springs... probably will stiffen up the ride but if I remembered correctly the last time I rode a Jag, it was very soft ride.

leicesterboy15
11-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I've looked at these in the past as well, I nearly bought one but then decided I needed an estate so I went for the 540i touring instead. It will cost more to run than an e34 as parts are not as plentiful and are generally more expensive anyway but then it is more car than the e34 although the e38 is probably still cheaper to run. The engines and gearboxes are strong and can do big miles, its the auxhillary stuff and the electrics you need to look out for.

The later the car the more improved it is but if you go for an earlier one you could save yourself a fortune. It needs to be post 96 as 96 cars had a 3.6 6 cylinder supercharged engine and a dated interior, post 96 cars had the mild facelift, new interior and uprated engines. A 97 or 98 XJR could cost as little as 4k for a good one so it might be worth considering that option, the other way of looking at it is the one you have linked to will cost you 8k now but could you stomach it being worth 4.5k in 2 years time? a 4.5k one will still be worth 2-2.5k.

You got me looking around with this post and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STUNNING-JAGUAR-XK8-V8-AUTO-COUPE_W0QQitemZ170275363676QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m170275363676&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1309

Now that is cheap, a lot for a 97 car but its a lot of car.

Or an older XJR, best colour combination as well IMHO:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-Supercharged-4-0-Litre-V8_W0QQitemZ170275520677QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item17 0275520677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

If you're looking at 8k the door is open to many interesting cars! Try an e55 AMG or an M5!

leicesterboy15
11-04-2008, 05:44 PM
By the way the one you linked to has dropped by £500:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-V8-Supercharged-xkr-xj8-6-20-detroit-xj6_W0QQitemZ250307840740QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 50307840740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

Rick L
11-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Since I own a JAG and not just another perception of JAG, I could honestly tell you that my JAG is reliable and easy to work on. Easy as my E34. Parts are not bad at all. Not sure why people think the parts cost so much but seems similar in cost to E34 on most parts. Nowadays, online parts shopping can save you so much money! :) Jag feels much more luxurious than the Bimmer but definitely loses out in sportiness of the BMW. It is great car for daily driver and still gets the prestigious treatment. Lets say, if I valet my JAG at a restaurant, valet attendant usually parks it in the front. :) With my E34, they park it in the back. :( You should drive it and see for yourself. JAG and BMW are two worlds apart in the way they feel so the judgement is up to you.

Interesting to hear so many different views there, mine is purely biased on the looks of the thing and the figures - 370BHP, rear wheel drive, 525NM of torque, 0-60 in 5 seconds... Impressive in my eyes!

It's the jag interior too that attracts me as the e34 seems to lack in this department if I'm honest, although it does make up for it in so many other ways! :)

Am I right in assuming that I will be able to service this as I do mine? I've only really ever worked on this car (my e34) but I would hope the theory applies to all cars, it's just the logistics that are different.

Rick - Nice! Looks like you keep that thing well maintained... How do you find living with it day to day?

Ross
11-05-2008, 09:54 AM
By the way the one you linked to has dropped by £500:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-V8-Supercharged-xkr-xj8-6-20-detroit-xj6_W0QQitemZ250307840740QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 50307840740&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318
Number one issue to keep in mind is the resale of nearly any late model Jag is ****.

e34.535i.sport
11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Cheers guys...

Rick - cheers for the info, I'm well into ride comfort and going fast around corners is low on my list of priorities (I live on a busy estate!) so I reckon the Jag is going to be right up my street from the way you describe it. It's good to know they are easy enough to work on as I do enjoy working on the e34. I much prefer that to taking it into a garage and trusting them to take proper care of a car that they may never see again... Yours is a beauty by the way!

Rak - you wouldn't beleive how many times I've read through this guys ad! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-Supercharged-4-0-Litre-V8_W0QQitemZ170275520677QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item17 0275520677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318). I've been on the verge of contacting the guy over it but I don't want to mess him around as I wouldn't be able to buy before I sold mine. I'm a click away from advertising mine for sale! The one I linked is what I want it to look like more than anything, I would prefer to do as you say in terms of going cheaper to begin with. It's just finding the right one because I'm so fussy. :p

Ross - I totally agree on the resale point. I'm hoping to get an older version (1997/8) one cheap (which they are naturally now) and keep hold of it for a while... That way I'll get my worth out of it and the depreciation won't hit as hard. It makes me wonder why some cars depreciate so horrifically... Do we think this is because of the nature of the car and relatively 'high' running costs?

Sam-Son - I love the e30 too in all honesty, but the e34 way overshadows it in the looks department I reckon. I know they are similar but it's the subtle style and size difference that make the e34 look the business. All my opinion of course! :D There's some e30's out there in nigh on mint condition, but you pay a lot for the priviledge of owning one of these examples!

Rick L
11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks... Price of Jag XJR seems very reasonable these days. If you do decide to buy one, you are getting "A LOT OF CAR FOR THE MONEY!" :)

Cheers guys...

Rick - cheers for the info, I'm well into ride comfort and going fast around corners is low on my list of priorities (I live on a busy estate!) so I reckon the Jag is going to be right up my street from the way you describe it. It's good to know they are easy enough to work on as I do enjoy working on the e34. I much prefer that to taking it into a garage and trusting them to take proper care of a car that they may never see again... Yours is a beauty by the way!

Rak - you wouldn't beleive how many times I've read through this guys ad! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-Supercharged-4-0-Litre-V8_W0QQitemZ170275520677QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item17 0275520677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318). I've been on the verge of contacting the guy over it but I don't want to mess him around as I wouldn't be able to buy before I sold mine. I'm a click away from advertising mine for sale! The one I linked is what I want it to look like more than anything, I would prefer to do as you say in terms of going cheaper to begin with. It's just finding the right one because I'm so fussy. :p

Ross - I totally agree on the resale point. I'm hoping to get an older version (1997/8) one cheap (which they are naturally now) and keep hold of it for a while... That way I'll get my worth out of it and the depreciation won't hit as hard. It makes me wonder why some cars depreciate so horrifically... Do we think this is because of the nature of the car and relatively 'high' running costs?

Sam-Son - I love the e30 too in all honesty, but the e34 way overshadows it in the looks department I reckon. I know they are similar but it's the subtle style and size difference that make the e34 look the business. All my opinion of course! :D There's some e30's out there in nigh on mint condition, but you pay a lot for the priviledge of owning one of these examples!

whiskychaser
11-09-2008, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=e34.535i.sport;313265]
Rak - you wouldn't beleive how many times I've read through this guys ad! (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-XJR-Supercharged-4-0-Litre-V8_W0QQitemZ170275520677QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item17 0275520677&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318). I've been on the verge of contacting the guy over it
QUOTE]
Hey, thats just down the road from me. With my local area knowledge and the skills for which your local area is renowned, maybe we should have a look:-)

healtoeit
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
ford had sorted out reliability issues

lol, that just sounds funny

Barney Paull-Edwards
11-12-2008, 02:37 AM
In similar situation myself, due to fried wiring. Looked at XJR/XJ but the fact is over here that the tax for these cars will soon be north of £2k a year. Take a look at prices of GOOD E34 M5`s and you will see a big saving as well as a better built car, oh and classic car insurance,was quoted £210, what it is to be old!(car that is)

JohnC
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
I've driven an XJ for a weekend, nice car and a lot more fun that it looks.

I would rather get an older chassis maybe an XJ6 and drop in an LS1.

Ross
11-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I've driven an XJ for a weekend, nice car and a lot more fun that it looks.

I would rather get an older chassis maybe an XJ6 and drop in an LS1.

http://www.johnscars.com/

repenttokyo
11-14-2008, 06:57 PM

http://jagsthatrun.com/

ThoreauHD
11-14-2008, 09:38 PM
If I had to buy a jaguar, I'd get the XKE from the 60's. They have a bit of style, and drive very well on the track. And from what I've heard, Jeremy Clarkson masterbates to them frequently.

They have some interesting brass engines on a few of those things. A fella I knew in Jasper, Indiana used to rebuild them for fun. They were stunning to look at inside and out. A whole 'nother level of quality that I'd never seen before. But alas, I was too young to contemplate buying and maintaining it.

JohnC
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Thats the stuff. Wow you can do the same for the old XJ convertibles. I always wanted to get my dad an old one, and with the Chevy motor and tranny with modern gauges, it should make for a pretty reliable car.

Ross
11-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Thats the stuff. Wow you can do the same for the old XJ convertibles. I always wanted to get my dad an old one, and with the Chevy motor and tranny with modern gauges, it should make for a pretty reliable car.

70s XJ coupe with LS7

repenttokyo
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
70s XJ coupe with LS7

the thing is, for me the best part of a Jag has always been the idea of a 12-cylinder. But they just don't run. It's so sad, and emotionally I don't think I would be capable of gutting one of these cars to drop in a V8, even though it would make so much more sense.

Bruno
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I think my next stable car will be a 850csi, it will be a beautiful love hate relationship.
But I need to move to a bigger garage 1st.