PDA

View Full Version : Rattling squeeking in enigne... Quite loud...

Tiger
11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
So what is it? When cold, the rattling is quite loud! Sounds come from belt area. I am wondering if it is the belt pulley failing or is it the fan clutch going bad... or both?

When engine is warm, it is quieter but still there... I'd like to order the parts as soon as possible.

Waterpump is replaced 2001 and doesn't seem to leak... I will check in morning. However, not much miles on the car since then.,, Maybe 30,000 miles.

Ferret
11-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Pop the fanbelt off and start the car, will tell you definitively whether it's something on the fanbelt causing the noise. You'll be able to test the tensionners by hand as well - if they're on their way out they'll feel rough when turned by hand.

Jr ///M5
11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
The water pump on my Uncle's '95 525i started making noise only after a year and it was originally replaced at BMW with an original BMW unit. The squeek wouldn't go away even if the engine was revved.

After it was removed and inspected, we found one of the bearings was binding and it was leaking from the bottom of the O'ring. The bearing was the culprit in this case along with the lack of a little lubrication on the o'ring upon installation.

A new remanufactured BMW pump solved the problem for his situation, it was time for new coolant and thermostat anyway...hope your problem is a simpler solution though.

JR

Ross
11-03-2008, 08:21 AM
X2 on the belt. No need to remove it though, just spray some water on it. If the noise abates it was the belt chattering. Retension it or replace, if it's glazed a bit of polishing compound on it or CAREFULLY abrading the pulley grooves a bit may help.

t_marat
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Had the same situation. It was the water pump bearing.