PDA

View Full Version : Trunk hinge wire harness issues... Anyone else had this issue?

Rick L
10-31-2008, 07:15 PM
There is a wire harness that runs from the truck lid and runs along the hinge. When you close the trunk, the cable harness gets pinched. Do to the age of the car, cables start to break by being pinched (open and closing of the trunk). Some of the wires have 12v for the rear brake lights. Noticed this when I started to have random rear brake light failures. Has anyone else have this issue? I would think this would be a common problem by the way it was designed. I just cut the cables several inches between where it was pinched and replaced it and made the cables little bit longer. I used solder and shrink tube and wrapped it with cable tape (fabric kind).

632 Regal
10-31-2008, 07:41 PM
very common problem, have to repair a few on my own soon.

Jehu
10-31-2008, 09:11 PM
+1.... splice and splice again.. may be best to just get some wire and butt plugs and go to town.. give each wire an extention segment ... what else are you going to do? Replace the entire harness?

uscharalph
11-01-2008, 01:23 AM
I need to get back in there again.

Paul in NZ
11-01-2008, 03:11 AM
also caused by the design of the plastic sheath of the hinge and the fact that the last cable tie by the hinge doesnt allow the cable to flex much .I took the last cable tie off and shortened the pastic sheathe to allow cable more room to flex(ie not bed it in such a tight radius)

Scott C
11-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Yep, been there done that...

For years thought my rear trunk was being locked - one day checked and it wasn't! Found the frayed wires and fixed them (solder, splice, everything nice)

Scott

filip00
11-01-2008, 05:27 AM
i had that issue as well. simply take some time, replace all wires :)

Bo525i
11-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the club! :)

Rick L
11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I removed the cable tie clip that's right behind the hinge and move it. I noticed there is another hole for the cable clip just several inches from the original place. By doing so, it does give more flex to the cable harness. Not sure if you did the same thing but seemed be much better there than the original hole for the cable clip.

also caused by the design of the plastic sheath of the hinge and the fact that the last cable tie by the hinge doesnt allow the cable to flex much .I took the last cable tie off and shortened the pastic sheathe to allow cable more room to flex(ie not bed it in such a tight radius)

attack eagle
11-01-2008, 04:19 PM
every e34 will have this happen at some point.

just be glad it isn't a TOURING!!!