PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Caliper on the rear?

leicesterboy15
10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
I got my rear brake discs (rotors) and pads replaced the other day because the pads on one side have completely gone and started scoring the disc (which needed replacing anyway). I didn't get a warning on the dash and the other side, while low, is fine, still some pad left, no wear on the disc etc.

When I told the parts guy he said these cars have a sensor only on one side and that mine was probably on the side that was OK, and the side that is worn may have a sticky caliper but when I went to the garage to get them fitted ( I was being lazy!) he said he couldn't check it and that if it is sticky I would need a new caliper. With the new pads / discs I can hear an intermittent rubbing ( 1 touch per revolution) coming from the problematic side, its not very loud but its definitely there.

What can I do about this? Do I need a new caliper? Can I get it to unstick? Is there any way I could test it? Could the rubbing or the premature wear be cause by something else?

Cheers guys!

Ross
10-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Not the caliper but the part in moves on
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=34_0395&hg=34&fg=10
Disassemble, clean and lube. Also wire brush the areas where the caliper rides in the bracket.
If the caliper itself(piston) were stuck the brake would always be dragging or not apply at all.

PS Garage couldn't check it?? Monkeys, find a new garage or do it yourself.

sal_park
10-31-2008, 08:46 AM
And you probably want to replace part 8 in the diagram. I did my front disc/pads a little while ago and needed to replace these as the old ones were quite pitted.

BUT

they cost 10 GBP each :( (or at least that's the price for the front ones)

For the rubbing noise check the tin back plate behind the disc - this could be bent and touching the disc.

leicesterboy15
10-31-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks!

You mean #8, that little bolt?! Looks complicated!

PS Garage couldn't check it?? Monkeys, find a new garage or do it yourself.

Thats what I thought but I find it really hard to find a good garage, all the ones I've used have screwed up something or other, then I stop using them and move on.

Do I need to / should I replace any other parts while I'm there? The handbrake shoes have already been done.

leicesterboy15
10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
And you probably want to replace part 8 in the diagram. I did my front disc/pads a little while ago and needed to replace these as the old ones were quite pitted.

BUT

they cost 10 GBP each (or at least that's the price for the front ones)

For the rubbing noise check the tin back plate behind the disc - this could be bent and touching the disc.

Thanks, you just answered the question on a post you didn't even see! Spooky

Ross
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Not complicated, simple. Unscrew, clean, grease, refasten.