PDA

View Full Version : Flex disc rubbing on transmission linkage

dennyg
10-30-2008, 01:04 PM
1994 530manual 186k new ausil engine and new clutch by previous owner

Okay after having my mechanic change out drive shaft and flex disc the edges of the disc rub against the linkage causing shift lever to wobble back and forth. Before changing drive shaft I would get the vibration braking hard. Now it comes on when accelerating. Is there something that could bend or wear out in the linkage that could cause this? The next thing we are going to change is transmission mounts although they look fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bending the linkage out of the way does not sound like a good option so I hope someone has the answer.

Ross
10-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you have the shifter slop? Maybe the rear mount is shot allowing the carrier to drop.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=25_0025&hg=25&fg=05
Can't see it being trans mounts as the carrier and linkage rod both attatch directly to the trans.

Tiger
10-30-2008, 04:50 PM
I would say your engine and transmission mount is shot... causing the whole thing to shift whichever way it wants to settle.

attack eagle
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I'd try the rear shifter mount first. and i'd make sure the shifter was installed correctly and not 180 out. :)

It does sound like bad motormounts (or motormounts and CoG mounts) are lifting the tranny tail up though.

632 Regal
10-30-2008, 09:43 PM
After talking to Denny I though bending things was in order but didnt know this was possible... LOOK Denny!

I'd try the rear shifter mount first. and i'd make sure the shifter was installed correctly and not 180 out. :)

It does sound like bad motormounts (or motormounts and CoG mounts) are lifting the tranny tail up though.

dennyg
11-01-2008, 07:48 PM
I would say your engine and transmission mount is shot... causing the whole thing to shift whichever way it wants to settle.
I think you may be right. Before I had the parts changed the shifter would shake during heavy braking. Now that new drive shaft center bearing and flex disc are in the shifter only shakes during acceleration. So the flex disc is still rubbing. How hard a job is engine mounts? I know transmission mounts are not expensive and are easier to change.

Could anything in the shifting linkage make it lower from parts wear? If parts are cheap enough I will change trans mounts and linkages first. Then if problem is still there the engine mounts cause they don't not look easy to change. Thanks to all for your advice.

attack eagle
11-01-2008, 08:10 PM
the rear "bearing" is a rubber donut in a metal plate, the shifter could droop I suppose. that is about it.

632 Regal
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
the trans was removed to replace the clutch before he bought it so my guess is that some numbnut bent the linkage during the process. My center bearing was completely ripped 100% and I didnt have the slightest clue. Found that when the Guibo was replaced.

the rear "bearing" is a rubber donut in a metal plate, the shifter could droop I suppose. that is about it.

attack eagle
11-03-2008, 12:16 AM
it was a CAST aluminum piece on mine. at least the part that sets the height of the shifter, the 'carrier' for the shift lever.

On my car, the donor had a problem with the rear carrier, because the DS had a circle around it where something was kissing from the shift assembly. I put a new rear 'bearing' and a new shift lever bearing in it, as well as replaced the tranny mounts and all was fine when I reinstalled it. Have not been under a 530/5 to see exactly how different they are, but... It would have to be severely misaligned on my application for the Guibo to hit. if it were that misaligned i would expect the REAR to hit first in my application.

OH and how is the 'T' on the tranny (if yours uses it), is that droopy? that could for sure cause an issue. For $50 or so you can completely rebuild the shifter assembly.

What shift lever are you running? I have heard of shift levers being too long below the ball and causing issues also. butthat is the lever hitting the DS, not the shift rod hitting the guibo. What brand guibo? perhaps it is oversized?

Ross
11-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Denny, If anything suggested here it will be the rear carrier mount or the engine mounts.
The trans mounts don't effect the relationship between the guibo and the shift linkage, they are both attatched to the rear of the gearbox.

Ferret
11-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Are we sure the shift linkage isnt in upside down?
I nearly did this on a 520i last week - your gearbox would have to be miles out of place for the linkage to rub?

Ross
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
Denny,
Just did the guibo on one of mine. I suspect the linkage was/is on the wrong(passenger) side on this car, it's contrary to the realoem drawing anyway. There is around 3/8" clearance between the guibo and the bottom of the shift shaft.
It doesn't look to me that the link being on one side or the other will effect the relationship between the shifter and the guibo. If it's not dead center above it it's not far off.
If motor mounts are at fault I'd guess they would need to sag quite a bit, enough to make the fan off center in the shroud.
What have you found out ?