PDA

View Full Version : 89 535 automatic transmission stuck on 1st gear ??

FJunus
06-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi,
I bought my 89 535i last year and have had a string of bad luck. Anyway, yesterday when I took it for a drive, the auto tranny would not shift it seemed to be stuck on first gear. This was in E mode, I tiried the S-mode and it was still stuck on first gear; however, when I switched it to M mode I was able to shift the car from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. Any advice on this problem? Thanks.

FJ
Canada

632 Regal
06-01-2004, 12:57 PM
mt trans did that 1 time accelerating from a stop on a turn, I pulled over, shut the var off and restarted it, all fine since. Might be a sign of dirty filter/fluid sticking up the shift selenoids?

Unregistered
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
mt trans did that 1 time accelerating from a stop on a turn, I pulled over, shut the var off and restarted it, all fine since. Might be a sign of dirty filter/fluid sticking up the shift selenoids?

I have the same problem with my 525i 1989. Sometimes it will shift, but mostly it will not. I hope somebody has some good information on this problem. mclark339@cox.net

Matt

Tiger
06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I suspect the valve body is at fault in these matter... The fact that you guys can manual shift the gears without any abnormal slipping or driving problems... points to valve body.

The only other possibility is governor. If the governor is in wrong position... too high of pressure... the tranny won't shift. I only know this from MB experience.

I suggest you call Kirt Koeller on this matter... try calling their 800 number and ask for Kirt directly... otherwise he is pretty hard to get a hold of.