PDA

View Full Version : Dual mass flywheel...

Claude
10-27-2008, 10:01 AM
... that's well know, overtime they generate knocking noise (like a diesel effect) when the engine is idling and when you shot it off the engine; that's the conditions i live with since i have my car. No knocking noise from the flywheel when the car is running (nothing that i can hear or sense).

QUESTION: is it possible that such flywheel be a source of vibration (small one) when the car is running, perhaps similar as a bad dre shaft center bearing or bad guibo ? How could we make the difference between vibrations that may due to bad motor supports, bad center bearing or guibo or from the flywheel (if that king of vibration exist) ?

What i experience does not appear to be speed sensitive, it's more like an engine that run rough, some time this almost disappears... strange, bothersome.

Any clue ?

Jeff N.
10-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I'd say chances of the vibration being your flywheel are low relative to the other items you outlined. Especially if it's intermittant.

If you feel the vibration only when rolling, look at your driveshaft and maybe your halfshafts. Otherwise, try your engine and tranny mounts.

Claude
10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
I'd say chances of the vibration being your flywheel are low relative to the other items you outlined. Especially if it's intermittant.

If you feel the vibration only when rolling, look at your driveshaft and maybe your halfshafts. Otherwise, try your engine and tranny mounts.

OK, but could we say that for sure beside the bothersome knocking noise generated by the dual mass flywheel (sound like this... http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/tarheelbimmer/535/?action=view&current=DSCN1580.flv it's not my car but i have exactly the same knocking noise) a flywheel can't cause vibrations ?

What would you say is a typical bad engine mount symptom ? I can imagine what a bad drive shalf central bearing does.