PDA

View Full Version : I found a heck of a good deal, but I don't know what to do!

bad_manners_god
10-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, I might be coming back.

My girlfriend was walking driving home the other day and calls me in a panic and asks me where my Touring was, I said it was at my dads in the back, why?

She says there's a touring here EXACTLY like yours and its for SALE. So she takes down the number and gives it to me. Today when I went over to her house we stopped by the house and it was still there.

I was going around the car looking at it in awe as to how super clean the car was. As I was going around the owner shows up from diner with his wife and he says, why are you interesed in this car. So I explain to him that it's exactly like the one I had.

It's a 1992 M50 Touring with 211,000km on the clock. The OBC only shows 1 thing: Coolant Level Low (Faulty Sensor)

Anyway, so he turns on the car and it sounds beautiful, I had to turn away from my gf because I was getting to excited.

He had just taking the car for inspection the week before and has the reciept. The only things that are due are the rear shocks (SUSPN LVLING error didn't show up) and the exhaust internals are rattling. The only other thing I noticed wrong was the RPM gauge had a mind of it's own, dropping between 300-2000 and the idle not changing, faulty wiring?

There is minor rust under the tip of the hood, under the door moldings and near the rear washer nozzle. Apart from that the headliner is in MINT condition, everything is stock, sounds system works great, dual sunroof works. All this and he's asking 2900 CDN.

I just don't know what I should do, I abesoulty LOVE the car but it's too slow for me. I've been looking at a Volvo 850 Turbo and some performance upgrades and I'll be close to 300 hp. I just don;t know what to do, oh ya, the volvo is 1300.

I still have my BMW roots but I just don't know.

HELP

attack eagle
10-25-2008, 02:54 AM
you need the touring... 850Rs roll over and are way too fast for you to be driving until you learn to slow down.
850 turbo covers a lot of ground, various trim levels. 150-225+ hp. and they are a supremo bitch to work on.

Ferret
10-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Go for the touring, a 525i isnt by any means slow.
It's not stellar quick - but it's a good start and quicker than a lot of stuff out there.

tim eh?
10-25-2008, 09:09 AM
NFW you found a touring 'exactly' like yours absolutely NFW :D

hmm... a volvo or a bimmer, sounds like your gf liked your old car i think you should get it - switch the stuff from your old car (so as i can see you coming and get outta the way) EXCEPT the vents and the giant speakers and make sure the back seats fold down properly. are you going to be allowed to drive it dude?

...isn't there an rpm sensor somewhere?

repenttokyo
10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
did it have blue metallic flake in the paint too?

bad_manners_god
10-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Lol, the only difference was the color, and it was pretty damn close, it seemed like a champaigne color but I couldn't see it that well at night. It's just that I know the Touring is going to be a money pit. The volvo won't be so bad plus it's cheaper so it gives me more budget to fix it if something does go wrong.

I get my lisence back monday, I'm going to see the Volvo tomorrow to see what kind of condition it's in.

I'm still putting the E60 vents in but this time, I'll make them functional to vent hot air from the engine bay. And i'm still putting a sound system.

AE, the volvo I'm getting is the one with 225hp and will be installing a Megasquirt on it with a couple mods and I'd be close to 300hp, plus lets be honest, I won't be going as fast with the volvo as I use to with the touring, I'll just be getting to a slower speed faster ;)

repenttokyo
10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't count on Volvo's being cheap to fix. I had a 240 that was a nightmare, and my grandfather's 940 is also quite expensive to repair....Plus the 850 is fwd, which sucks ballz. A 300 hp fwd Volvo is going to torquesteer like a bitch.

Dave M
10-25-2008, 02:10 PM
What did I miss? Is the silver dart toast? What about the licence? I bet the thread on this is worth a read, can you link it ;) Oh, can you provide a ballpark figure for what you'll be paying for insurance? I remember paying a boatload in Toronto when I was under 25 with a few tickets and i heard its pricier these days.......

Anyhow, you know the e34, you obviouusly like it so I'd stick with it. The whole "I need to go fast" wears off after a few years.

Dave

e34.535i.sport
10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
What did I miss? Is the silver dart toast? What about the licence? I bet the thread on this is worth a read, can you link it ;) Oh, can you provide a ballpark figure for what you'll be paying for insurance? I remember paying a boatload in Toronto when I was under 25 with a few tickets and i heard its pricier these days.......

Anyhow, you know the e34, you obviouusly like it so I'd stick with it. The whole "I need to go fast" wears off after a few years.

Dave

I hope it wears off for me soon... :D

bad_manners_god
10-25-2008, 10:49 PM

Dave

Silver Dart isnt toast, lol, I get my lisence back monday, ballpark would be around 3000 one way as second driver, 5000 one way as first driver, I'm assuming anyways.

The "I need to go fast" still hasn't worn off.

Repent Tokyo, The car is technically going to be a beater so I can pretty much "ghetto fix" anything EXCEPT the heater core....which is as bad as a E34 from what I've understood.

tim eh?
10-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Silver Dart isnt toast, lol, I get my lisence back monday, ballpark would be around 3000 one way as second driver, 5000 one way as first driver, I'm assuming anyways.

The "I need to go fast" still hasn't worn off.

Repent Tokyo, The car is technically going to be a beater so I can pretty much "ghetto fix" anything EXCEPT the heater core....which is as bad as a E34 from what I've understood.

ghetto fix... i love it... welcome back man! get the e34 what are you nuts fwd?????

bad_manners_god
10-26-2008, 10:29 AM
ghetto fix... i love it... welcome back man! get the e34 what are you nuts fwd?????

I know, thats the only downside to the volvo FWD, i looked at 740, 760, 940, 960 since those are all rwd but it's almost impossible to find them manual. It's really a compromise between the 2 things I want: RWD and Manual (Turbo is a good incentive)

Tiger
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Find a wrecked M3 and stuff the engine and computer into the touring.

bad_manners_god
10-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Find a wrecked M3 and stuff the engine and computer into the touring.

Easier said then done, the touring is going to cost 2900, + shocks + tune-up = 3500

That's like my entire budget

Volvo: 1200 + 800 Megasquirt with Wideband, 100 Injectors, 400 MSD Ignition, 200 Front Mount, 600 Complete Exhaust = 3300

Still under my budget and close to 300hp

Tiger
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
No parts to salvage off your other car? Sell parts off the other car and you will have more money.

bad_manners_god
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
No parts to salvage off your other car? Sell parts off the other car and you will have more money.

Not my car to salvage

Montreal525
10-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Would it be this one...? They are quite rare around here...

Montreal525
10-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Have you seen this one...? Looks nice enough...

http://www.lespac.com/search/detail.php?PHPSESSID=199f1fd07d6bf57d56aee0a38d07c 2eb&infst=RK_7484168%3B&cp=0&region=&num_reg_ori=19&gr=12&majalerte=&a=7484168&o=%2Fsearch%2Findex.php&r=3004&liste_ville=&listcmp=&parindex=1&page=1&total=5&nbrpages=1&visite_recherche=&categorie_titre=&idcookie=acfe2c23117c81192b073abc5ba52629&zc=0&zg=12&priorite=&orderby=distance&mots=bmw+530&distancemax=0&agemax=0&liste_region=&catgr=C0-12&prix_de=0&prix_a=0&annee_de=0&annee_a=1996&type=0&etat=0&no_region_de=0&no_region_a=&no_region=&prio=

bad_manners_god
10-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Would it be this one...? They are quite rare around here...

I believe so, if it's location is saint-rose, laval then yes.

While I speaking to the owner he said he had just posted it on the internet and it was first come first serve.