PDA

View Full Version : got hit. Need some insurance advice

infurno
10-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Hey everyone, I need some advice. I got rear ended on the highway tonight. The good news is that there is practically no body damage... Other than some light scratches on the rear bumper trim you could never tell. We exchanged insurance information and parted ways.

The bad news is that the engine is not running very well since the hit. Its hard to describe but its rough, noisy, and there is a hissing sound "ssss" "ssss" "ssss" "ssss" coming from the spark plug side. I will have a closer look tomorrow.

Im not sure how to approach my insurance agent about this. There is very little body damage but my engine is running like crap now. Im worried that Allstate will figure im making that up. They may figure that a rear end collision that left so little damage should not have any effect on the engine... But it did for sure.

BMWDriver
10-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Maybe they can have a technician (mechanic) of their choice look at it to confirm if it's due to the hit or not. Call them a.s.a.p. I would suggest. Just don't have it fixed yet without calling them first. They'll tell you what to do and what their policy is.

Ken35i
10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Seems like an exhaust leak or somthing. The collision would have jolted the exhaust system forward possibly breaking a seal/pipe. That's my guess on the mechanical side, can't help you with the insurance thing.

bsell
10-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Seems like an exhaust leak or somthing. The collision would have jolted the exhaust system forward possibly breaking a seal/pipe. That's my guess on the mechanical side, can't help you with the insurance thing.

I agree and wonder if the jolt/hit moved the exhaust forward, causing a kink in the pipe. The kink could be restricting flow enough to make the car run, but run funny.

I've seen these symptoms from a parking disaster (person backed into a high curb, using the rear muffler as a 'curb feeler.') which buckled the exhaust pipe over the rear axle enough to block the flow.

Brian