PDA

View Full Version : Are e34 HID light kits a good idea?

Russell
10-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Are retrofitted HIDs a good idea in our e34s even if we have projector lights with a sharp cutoff? Some lighting experts, such as Daniel Stern/Stein, feel that even with a sharp cutoff there is far too much scattering of light that dazzles other drivers.

The reason I ask is I just installed 55w, 4500k 9006s in my 95 525i from ddmtuning. I commute on two lane roads in all kinds of weather with cars to large tucks. I do not want to dazzle/blind people and potentially contribute to an accident. I have had a few drivers flash their lights, very few, which means I do need to check/adjust my headlight alignment.

Just kind of wondering if HIDs are the correct decision. That said, I can see much better!

Scott C
10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Are retrofitted HIDs a good idea in our e34s even if we have projector lights with a sharp cutoff? Some lighting experts, such as Daniel Stern/Stein, feel that even with a sharp cutoff there is far too much scattering of light that dazzles other drivers.

The reason I ask is I just installed 55w, 4500k 9006s in my 95 525i from ddmtuning. I commute on two lane roads in all kinds of weather with cars to large tucks. I do not want to dazzle/blind people and potentially contribute to an accident. I have had a few drivers flash their lights, very few, which means I do need to check/adjust my headlight alignment.

Just kind of wondering if HIDs are the correct decision. That said, I can see much better!

I put the cheapo specials in my low beams - am pretty happy. Never have I had someone flick their lights at me. The low beams have a very sharp and precise cutoff.

Scott

Bo525i
10-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I retrofitted a HID 4300K kit into my projectors, noone has even flashed me once as if they´ve been blinded and I drive 120 km on a daily basis late afternoon and very late nite year round.. The difference in lightning is amazing, now I can actually see where I´m going! ;) Supposedly illegal here, altho I see a lot of HIDs, but I´ll just remount the halogens when the time comes for the yearly control!

Russell
10-16-2008, 05:47 PM
I understand. However, as I stated I need to readjust my lights lower., You see, I had raised them to hopefully improve my lights with HIR. Wrong on my part. Secondly I have 55w and most have installed the 35w so I need to be extra careful on alignment.

russiankid
10-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Just angle them down slightly. Park your car on level ground and walk away a good bit from the car. Crouch down and see how much they glare.

Tiger
10-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Angle them down a bit more but the major part is the driver side light must be angled toward the passenger side so it doesn't blind the oncoming driver.

55W is damn freaking bright.

Last thing is the headlight glass must be absolutely pitless or otherwise you will blind other people with your glare. There is no glare when your glass is perfect.

PScalfano
10-17-2008, 08:02 AM
It is my opinion that it is illegal to retrofit HIDs for a reason. Legal OEM HIDs have features such as auto leveling that can't realistically be retrofit into a non-HID car. It is good that you seem to have other drivers' safety in mind, but the government had to draw the line somewhere, and you should (in my opinion) respect that line / law.

Ferret
10-17-2008, 08:17 AM
It is my opinion that it is illegal to retrofit HIDs for a reason. Legal OEM HIDs have features such as auto leveling that can't realistically be retrofit into a non-HID car. It is good that you seem to have other drivers' safety in mind, but the government had to draw the line somewhere, and you should (in my opinion) respect that line / law.

Used properly, in correct alignment they're no more distracting/dazzling than normal headlamps.

To get them legally approved, you are supposed to have auto-adjusters - this can be suspension though. So - anyone with a tourer with self adjusting suspension, it's perfectly legal for you to put HID lamps in as a retrofit.

So long as your headlamp glass is smooth and clean, and the light cuts off before it goes over the horizontal, you'll be fine.

SnakeyesTx
10-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I love the look and clarity of HID's however, I have yet to see a single installation here in Houston that hasn't blinded me oncoming or even sitting behind me.

Proof in point, last night I was sitting at a red light and this Toyboata Tundra was behind me with his 8000k's blaring away. I was blinded through 5% tint! WTF. I had sunspots in my eyes almost the entire 10 miles home afterwards.

Compound the problem when you have kids with their stupid ricer Honda's with HID's in the headlights AND the fog/driving lights... they almost NEVER aim the fogs and they point to the heavens, or into your eyes and side mirrors >:(

...almost makes me miss having my Jeep with its spotlights. I loved trying to flash people who drove at me with high-beams on only to have them ignore me till I hit them with the spotlight. Nowadays it might just be simpler to get off my butt and purchase an X5 and HID the lows and highs :D

PScalfano
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

That is a good resource. The links to DOT letters are a long read, but spell out the law regarding retrofitting HID lights.

I agree that when used properly they can be no more distracting than halogen headlights, but so many people do it 'wrong' that some sort of line must be drawn. I generally have nothing against people who choose to convert their lights to HID, especially when they are aware of the extra brightness and take measures to protect their fellow motorists' eyes. But, when asked if someone should or should not put HID lights to replace their halogens, my answer will always be 'no'.

leicesterboy15
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I've been running this kit for about 6 months now and have had no problems so far. I've not had errors from the computer either using this kit. Its also the cheapest one I've seen! The light from them is much better than standard and nobody has flashed me. You can see the cut off on the lights quite clearly they don't seem to go over to on coming traffic.

If you get hold of a couple of spare headlight caps and bore the correct size hole in them you can make them plug and play and they look relatively stock.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350111776358&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=350077911306&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Russell
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I've been running this kit for about 6 months now and have had no problems so far. I've not had errors from the computer either using this kit. Its also the cheapest one I've seen! The light from them is much better than standard and nobody has flashed me. You can see the cut off on the lights quite clearly they don't seem to go over to on coming traffic.

If you get hold of a couple of spare headlight caps and bore the correct size hole in them you can make them plug and play and they look relatively stock.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350111776358&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=350077911306&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu% 3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

Here in the US, most e34s, perhaps all, use 9006 bulbs for low beams. The kits for these cars is strictly plug and play. No wiring modifications required.

BigKriss
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Good link, thanks. I wonder if there is a ebay link for the hong kong store.

Edit: Found it, it does look cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-BMW-3-5-Series-M3-H7-6000K_W0QQitemZ300267053403QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4261 3QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2

Qube
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
You'll be fine. Aim them properly, then aim it slightly lower. Done. The only time you'll dazzle is on a quick bump or dip in the road. Not to worry.