PDA

View Full Version : Opinions sought - Value of my car?

e34.535i.sport
10-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok I'm seriously considering putting the 535i/M Sport up for sale and buying a 540i/A. Seriously.

I have the advert all ready to go but 1. I haven't had the heart to put it on yet and 2. I'm not sure I'm right in my valuation of the car!

I bougth the car a little less than 2 yrs ago for £1200 and I've spent well over £2000 getting it up to scratch in that time, as you know! Now, I know essentially whatever I do to it itshouldn't add value as such but I think it does because it's a reliable, well maintained example!

Here in GB 535i's are going really cheap but they don't generally seem to have been treated well. Anyway I want to put it up for £1700 - It has LOOOONG tax and just been MOT'd, new clutch, leather sports seats, too many new parts to list, all the usual extra's.

What do you think? Any opinions welcomed I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here... I really want to take a risk and buy a nice 540i but don't want to give up my safe, reliable 535i for buttons! :(

I hope this thread makes some sense... Obviously if I do go for it if anyone on here would be interested let me know, it's to good homes only. :D

bubba966
10-15-2008, 07:51 PM
I've no idea what your car normally would sell for over there. But I see no reason why dropping over 2K into it over the last 2 years won't add 500 to what you paid for it. And really, how much would that 2K be if you didn't do most all of that work by yourself? Seems like it'd be way more than 2K's worth or repairs/improvements if you'd just taken it to a shop and told them to take care of it. You'd have paid more for the parts, and a whole hell of a lot more for the labor. Would that bring it up to 4K? 5k? More?

Do you need to sell the 535 before getting a 540? If you could I'd take the time to look for the right 540, then take the time to get a good price out of the 535. But this is coming from someone that spent 2 1/2 years searching the entire country for the right E34...

Paul in NZ
10-15-2008, 10:26 PM
you are up against it...my car is exactly the same as yours....a guy took it for a drive the other day and he is a bmw enthusiast.He couldnt fault the car apart from the headliner,and he didnt like the non stock rear muffler...My car is very nice appearance wise too..His offer was an insult.He offered me what every other 535 was going for ,but all the fruit was worth nothing to him,just made it the pick of the bunch.

Ferret
10-16-2008, 03:59 AM
Ok I'm seriously considering putting the 535i/M Sport up for sale and buying a 540i/A. Seriously.

I have the advert all ready to go but 1. I haven't had the heart to put it on yet and 2. I'm not sure I'm right in my valuation of the car!

I bougth the car a little less than 2 yrs ago for £1200 and I've spent well over £2000 getting it up to scratch in that time, as you know! Now, I know essentially whatever I do to it itshouldn't add value as such but I think it does because it's a reliable, well maintained example!

Here in GB 535i's are going really cheap but they don't generally seem to have been treated well. Anyway I want to put it up for £1700 - It has LOOOONG tax and just been MOT'd, new clutch, leather sports seats, too many new parts to list, all the usual extra's.

What do you think? Any opinions welcomed I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place here... I really want to take a risk and buy a nice 540i but don't want to give up my safe, reliable 535i for buttons! :(

I hope this thread makes some sense... Obviously if I do go for it if anyone on here would be interested let me know, it's to good homes only. :D

Dont do it.

You'll regret every day of giving up a manual box and wish you never sold the 535i... I've had two Automatic E34s and by comparison to the manual they're total pants. They're so uninvolved, unpredictable and untrustworthy at this age I'd be staying well away.

I can quite honestly say I'll never buy another automatic E34.

540i autos are kinda "fun" you go near a wet roundabout and you have to drive excessively carefully lest the gearbox shift down twice and try spin you out.

Having driven a 535i sport that I did a HG job on, and my 540i manual - I have to say that the 535i was a much more involving, fun to drive car. The sport suspension combined with the much shorter gears really gets you involved.

Dont get me wrong - the 540i manual I've got is awe inspiring on the motorway and amazing round country lanes... but it doesnt have the tight sport suspension on it, and if you drive it hard it can be *very* tiring having to constantly plan out the best line based on the squashy suspension so you dont die from excess power.

I'd give a lot to swap sport suspension into it!

You need to drive a 540i standard/SE hard before you commit to selling your 535i... all the above is my personal opinion, but if it were me I'd think long and hard commiting to this course of action. If you're really intent on a 540i, I'd save up and wait for the right manual to pop up.

sneekens
10-16-2008, 04:11 AM
In my opinion and from my personal experience, I would rather keep the 535i.:)

bmwrp8
10-16-2008, 06:38 AM
in My Opinion And From My Personal Experience, I Would Rather Keep The 535i.:)

+1

Dave M
10-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Usually don't chime in on debates such as this, but it seems you'll be spending a 'lot' for a little........

Dave

Ross
10-16-2008, 07:11 AM
+2, I own a 540/6 and a 535 5spd. Although my 540 is in FAR nicer condition there is something about that big six I love enough to keep a rusty old car with with near a dozen journeys around the equator in my fleet.

e34.535i.sport
10-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Hey guys - haven't been able to get back on to reply as I've had some computer problems... I won't bore you with the details! :(

Fristly thanks for all the input so far... I ended up writing an advert for pistonheads but I kinda talked myself outta selling it! It would only be worth it if I could find a 540 out there in the same condition. The Auto/Manual difference would probably be a nice change but I'm sure the 540/6 is awesome. I've never had the pleasure of driving one unfortunately.

As it happens there's one for sale now at a ridiculousl price (for a 6 speed) - So I might look into it. The super low price makes me a bit suspicious though to be honest.

Bubba - Selling mine first won't be a problem, it's 3 miles to work and we have another car (even if it is full of teddy bears and pink stuff!) :D Most 535i's I see here are going for around £700 - but I doubt they're in as good condition as mine is to be honest... That's why it's hard to put a price on it!

Sneekens - Why the 535i over 540i? I know I've test drove both and the 540i won over, but I haven't lived with both... Which is a different kettle of fish!

Ferret - Would you say then it's worth going for it if I can find a nice manual 540? Is the difference between the two worth the swap? The sports suspension wouldn't worry me really, I'm not into speed around corners it's more straight line and motorway performance that puts a smile on my face! :)
I'm also concerned about the Nikasil issue - How did you check yours wasn't a Nikasil block? I've seen the block numbers on Wiki but when you ask most sellers haven't got a clue where to find the numbers etc, did you go and check it yourself?

Ross - If you could only keep one of your cars which would it be? I know Leicesterboy on here had a 540 and a 535 - I noticed he sold his 535 in the end and kept the 540. I don't know why but I'd be interested to find out???!!!

I might put mine on today for a pirce I'd be happy with and see what happens... If I get interest so be it, and if I don't I haven't lost anthing...

Omega
10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm also concerned about the Nikasil issue - How did you check yours wasn't a Nikasil block? I've seen the block numbers on Wiki but when you ask most sellers haven't got a clue where to find the numbers etc, did you go and check it yourself?

Take a note of the reg plate. Ring BMW on 0870-505160. Quote the reg and they will tell you if the block is affected or has ever been swapped by BMW. They will also tell you all the BMW servicing garages it's been to, along with what was done and when (with recorded mileages).

The service is both easy and free. :p

leicesterboy15
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Sorry John I haven't been on here for a while! The reason I sold mine was because I bought a do-er-upper 540i touring while I had the 535i Sport and it was amazing, so smooth, effortless drive but with loads of power when you wanted it! Anyway I sold it on but as I was doing it up I never really gave it some beans other than in a straight line (didn't want anything to break!) which was amazing, the engine is in a different league to the m30 3.5 and I assumed the rest of the car would be as well.

Then when I needed a touring I would have bought a 535i touring if they did one because I was happy with the sport but as it didn't exist and I'd remembered the 540i I did up I went for one of those, the best I could find. And it did not disappoint in a straight line, the engine is just superb, always puts a smile on your face while wiping one off someone elses! But I have to agree with ferret the 535i Sport felt more agile and put a grin on your face around the bends, it didn't have the shove in the back like the 540 but it was superb round the bends and not disgraced in a straight line, just not as good as the 540.

If you are looking for the perfect car sadly you won't find it! The 535i Sport frustrated me with its lack of power at certain revs, particularly low down and it had one or two flat spots (my engine was in excellent condition btw) but the 540i frustrates me with not being able to control the gear change and the less surefooted handling, its great at fast sweeping bends but the Sport would clean up in town through some tight bends.

Sometimes when I am managing a live migration at work I have to get into work at 2am to do the upgrade within the system maintenance window and going through town in the 535 seemed quicker and more enjoyable than in the 540 when you have a deserted city to yourself - it was kind of like the old Saab advert!

If money is not a problem I would say sell it and buy a 540 just for the experience, no doubt you will get itchy feet in a year anyway and want something else! Just don't expect your current car only better all round, it will be better in some areas and probably not so good in others. Sadly you will not get what your car is really worth as a car, market value for a good one is £1200 I would say but you always get people paying more or less, their values seem to change seasonally! A minter with low miles I would expect around £2k, possibly a bit more but again the buyers for these seem to come and go. If money is a problem I would say keep what you've got until the rust starts to set in (the jacking points on mine at the front had started to go when I sold).

You also get that sinking feeling on the way home after picking up your new car when its the same model as the old one, you look around while your driving home (once you've finished hooning around) and think 'what have i done, it looks the same as my old one but now i'm £1500 down'!! But that soon passes!

The above is just my opinion BTW, no offense intended to anyone or any car, personally I love them both!

I've just been looking at cars and am shocked what you can buy these days for little money! I may get shot for this but heres a short list:

e34 M5 (obviously)
e39 540, 530d (2k Up)
e38 740 (2k upwards)
z3 (3k upwards)
Merc CLK (£2500 upwards)
Mercedes e55 AMG (£4500)
Saab 900 convertible (£1500)
VW Corrado (2k)
Fiat Coupe Turbo (I know its made of paper and its chassis is more flexible than a gymnast but its a bloody fast car!)
Alfa 166 3.0
Alfa 156 2.5 v6
Jaguar XJR (£2500 upwards)
Subaru Imprezza turbo (£2500 Up)

Just a small list, I know each one is very different and not everyone's cup of tea (some are not even mine) but it does go to show you can get a lot of performance for very little money these days. Between 97 - 2000 there were some very good cars made and some still give the impression of a modern car but they can be had for sub £2k. I am seriously considering selling the CLk and buying a 900 convertible, check this one out, the missus has always wanted a convertible, even at double the current £850 I think its great value:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190259386265

I might sell the CLK but I'm not quite ready to part with the e34 just yet! Maybe a manual conversion and some sports suspension first (if I ever get round to it) and then you might be looking at the ultimate sub M5 e34 (in my humble opinion and possibly with the exception of Jon K's hand crafted masterpiece!).

dave.o
10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I have to agree with the posts from fellow Brits I reckon about 1500 tops for a 535. After following your trials and tribulations with your 535 you must have something that you now know intimately and can trust. Also from the amount of work carried out it has probably taught you a hell of alot. I think that if you can drive a car and sit there and mentally picture what each bit is doing then you really know it inside out quite literally. As for opinion if what you have is solid and presentable (it certainly looks it) then stick with it, but only if you enjoy it. These old fives can be bought and run on a budjet but they will never return what you put in them financial. But they do give a huge grin factor. Whatever you do at this end of the market you can probably let heart rule head and go with the impulse. Best of luck what ever choice you go.

Sam-Son
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
no....just..no

Paul in NZ
10-21-2008, 03:17 AM
I have driven a 540 six speed(three actually 2 e 34 and a e39) and even after the e 39 the 535 bought a grin to my face,,,,that 540 engine is a honey tho....brakes and steering are wooden in comparison...I would only buy a 540 if it was a six speed AND it was immaculate....

sneekens
10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Just to give you guys an idea on how much a mint 535i would cost here (Philippines), it would be around $13,000.00.. A 540i would be at that price range too. Most e34's (m20 525) are in the $6,000-7000ish range. A decent e39 523i would be at $15k. e34 m5's would cost $22,000.00 up, together with the Alpina's and other special production e34's. If I were in your situation, I would keep the 535. Its agility around the bends won't be the same if you've got the 540... There is no other mid-sized luxury sedan IMHO can do the bends like the e34 six-bangers.... (ex. merc's 124 body e300...) haha!

whiskychaser
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I am seriously considering selling the CLk and buying a 900 convertible, check this one out, the missus has always wanted a convertible, even at double the current £850 I think its great value:

My ex used to have a 93 convertible (on a V plate). Def ladies' car. On that you pressed a button and the top folded away neatly under a panel in the back. Takes a bit of boot space off but WTF. It was an auto and was surprisingly quick. Her business partner had the manual but that was a Friday car. She kept getting the mat stuck under the throttle pedal - so that one never was going to be fast ;) They go well in a straight line but for my money they are a bit high off the ground and not wide enough to go round corners comfortably at any speed. The 900 was TWOC car of choice so it is not short of admirers:D Er, think I'm on the wrong forum lads.....I'll just go and ....

filip00
10-21-2008, 05:19 PM
i wouldn't sell it, for two reasons.

1-you surely invested more money in it than you can get, and you know what you're driving, a serviced car

2-what other car can you buy for that money, that's reliable and serviced, and that you know the history of it?

sneekens
10-22-2008, 02:01 AM
i wouldn't sell it, for two reasons.

1-you surely invested more money in it than you can get, and you know what you're driving, a serviced car

2-what other car can you buy for that money, that's reliable and serviced, and that you know the history of it?

+1!!!! Totally agree...

e34.535i.sport
10-22-2008, 05:11 AM
I'm back... Still haven't put the advert up! I'm going to go test drive a 540/A that's fairly local if it's still there, although it's not the one for me. Just want to get a feel for the 540 again as I haven't driven one for such a long time. I would love a 6 speed and you never know, on might pop up for sale on the forum at some point! ;)

My head is saying stick with the safety of the 535i and the heart is saying take the leap to the 540i... It would definitley have to be the right car. I spent a LOOOONNNG time searching for this one and I didn't go far wrong... If I buy the new one then sell this one there wouldn' be an issue but unfortunately that isn't the case. My eyes are peeled... :D

Sam-Son
10-22-2008, 12:50 PM
+1!!!! Totally agree...

can you please resize that sig picture its wayyy too big