PDA

View Full Version : A strange popping sound

MiniR2
10-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Hiya I wonder if any of you kindly folk could point me in the right direction to repairing my E34.

I have a UK 1995 525is(24v +single vanos) and it has developed a strange popping sound that increases with engine speed. It seems to be coming from the area of No.6 cylinder near the injector.

The engine runs lovely with no rough idle or hesitation, although it does feel a bit down on power. I have checked all around the exhaust and inlet area and there are no signs of leakage. If I remove the oil filler cap the noise does not get any louder, and its definatley not a mettalic noise, so i'm guessing its not valve train related. The engine has just covered 140,000 miles and is serviced regularly.

Its driving me mad, please some help :(

Gary

E34-520iSE
10-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Any chance of a YouTube clip of it?

whiskychaser
10-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Loose plug? If thats an insult to your intelligence please ignore:D

MiniR2
10-13-2008, 02:58 PM
I'll try and get a video tomorrow

Dave M
10-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Loose plug? If thats an insult to your intelligence please ignore:D

First thing that came to mind, but I wanted someone else to ask ;)

Dave

632 Regal
10-13-2008, 11:51 PM
loose plug or maybe a busted/loose injector.

MiniR2
10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Yep all sorted now. The plug on No 6 cylinder was loose, checked all the other plugs and they were tight. I did change the plugs about 7 months ago and have done about 8,000 miles since then, and they were definatley done up then. How strange!

Thanks very much for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Gary :)

bsell
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Yep all sorted now. The plug on No 6 cylinder was loose, checked all the other plugs and they were tight. I did change the plugs about 7 months ago and have done about 8,000 miles since then, and they were definatley done up then. How strange!

Thanks very much for the help, I really do appreciate it.

Gary :)

Same thing here; checked the plugs, thought they were equally tight, and still had the mystery pop/tick noise.

I would have sworn on a stack of (book of choice) that they were all tight but #6 wasn't...I can't tell you how many spark plugs I have changed in five years of mechanicing but this made me wonder if I ever missed a few.

Glad you sorted yours out,

Brian