PDA

View Full Version : my first rustproofing experience

tim eh?
10-10-2008, 01:56 PM
so i went and had the ball and chain rustproofed this week. on the advice of my mechanic i took it this place duratech (http://www.duratech.ca/) on hwy 40 near pie-IX.

you can watch through a window... so it's my car's turn and i'm watching - believe it or not i've lived in canada most of my life and never even seen this done, i painted the underneath of one car once and didn't bother with the others as i lived in vancouver where it's not so bad. i should have done it last year but by the time all the repairs were done it was too cold for it to be effective anyway.

anyway, i'm watching and the first thing the guy does is drill a hole in the door frame (at the bottom near the kick pads) and i'm like... WHOA! i ask the cashier what he's doing and she asks 'is this your first time?' (:() and i say yes and she explains to me that they put the stuff inside the car as well to prevent it from rusting from the inside out.. i ask if i'm the only person that freaks out when they drill holes in my car without telling me and she says yes it's totally normal - everyone is looking at me like i'm nuts and there were a lot of people there so i shut up and watch and they shoot the goop into the holes and then do the engine bay and underneath. (i was just expecting the underneath...)

so while they're shooting stuff underneath the other cashier comes over and tells me (i'll paraphrase we were speaking french) that "one time a guy told us just to do the underneath and i forgot to tell the technician. the guy really freaked out it was a BMW!" the first cashier points to my car and the second cashier just says 'oh' and i start to feel ill a little bit.

so anyway, what...ever... it's not a big deal but in hindsight i really didn't want that goop in the inside because next time i'm under the carpet i'll get covered in it - too late for me... maybe this will warn someone else, wtf if you're rusting from the inside it's waaaay too late imo.

repenttokyo
10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
tim, there are many rustproofing places that DON'T drill holes. I don't use the ones that do.

Tiger
10-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't worry about that itty bitty hole. We bought a new car back in 1988 and the dealer put in Waxoyl rust proofing product. Zero rust till I sold that car this year. I can't believe it... it also have a lifetime transferable warranty... I told the new owner about it... gee... don't know if they really mean it but you can try if needed!

It was a RX7.

E34-520iSE
10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
There's no real problem in drilling holes and spraying the Waxoyl in, though there are already holes strategically placed all round the car to do this job anyway eg under the door tread plates, bootlid, round the bonnet, doors etc. A good paraffin gun and compressor will blast that stuff into every nook and cranny

HTH,

Shaun M

repenttokyo
10-11-2008, 11:24 AM
do either of you guys live in a winter climate comparable to canada?

E34-520iSE
10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
No way - our winters are tropical compared to your Canadian ones!! Here in the UK we maybe get the odd -3 or so during winter, some of the far northern parts of Scotland see lower temps like.

ATB,

Shaun M

whiskychaser
10-11-2008, 04:17 PM
No way - our winters are tropical compared to your Canadian ones!! Here in the UK we maybe get the odd -3 or so during winter, some of the far northern parts of Scotland see lower temps like.

ATB,

Shaun M

Do they still do waxoyl Shaun? I remember people spraying old engine oil on the underside but I think they stopped doing that too:)

E34-520iSE
10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Oh yeah you can buy Waxoyl anywhere, no problem! I think some of the 'old boys' with Landrovers, Unimogs & steam powered $h1te etc still squirt engine oil into box sections but that's not generally recommended anymore because of oil dropping onto roads etc.

Cheers,

Shaun M

Tiger
10-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Waxoyl is still in business. I checked. Still professional grade product for their dealers. I am not sure if they have consumer version for spot protection. I don't even know where to get it in USA.

tim eh?
10-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Waxoyl is still in business. I checked. Still professional grade product for their dealers. I am not sure if they have consumer version for spot protection. I don't even know where to get it in USA.

i don't think that is the same stuff they use where i went... i said or read something about it being not an oil-based product like most places. regardless of where you go i think it makes sense to get the works done if it's a new car (or if it's always been done since new) just for the guarantee.

in my case it was about the fuel and brake lines and my new exhaust and fuel tank... the very underneath is clean and i actually painted the floor underneath the carpets after unplugging the sunroof drains... i checked it was bone dry all winter so i don't think that stuff will make a difference in there. i don't care about the holes i don't really care even about the grease in the floor i was just... wtf? they don't tell you?

tim eh?
10-23-2008, 05:05 PM
so i was fooling with the alternator today and i got this crap all over me! i am now rustproof!

i am comforted that my plastic shields and washer fluid will not rust, don't know what i'd do if they did, but at least they didn't get any on the fuel lines, that would have been a real shame...

anyhow... on to other issues i'm sure i can find something...

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6140&stc=1&d=1224799388

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6141&stc=1&d=1224799388

Bruno
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
so i was fooling with the alternator today and i got this crap all over me! i am now rustproof!

i am comforted that my plastic shields and washer fluid will not rust, don't know what i'd do if they did, but at least they didn't get any on the fuel lines, that would have been a real shame...

anyhow... on to other issues i'm sure i can find something...

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6140&stc=1&d=1224799388

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6141&stc=1&d=1224799388

I know how you feel Tim, my 635csi has been rustproof with some black goop... I hate having to work on it as I am covered with black sticky stuff.

I do not rustproof the Jeep for the same reason, I hate having to work on a gooped car.

repenttokyo
10-24-2008, 03:35 PM
If you guys want to rustproof a vehicle without having any goop or nasty mess beong involved, do what I do - have the chassis and underside shot with chainsaw oil, it works very well and doesn't involve drilling holes, etc. I routinely have the underside of my vehicles complimented at tire shops when it's up on a lift.

tim eh?
10-24-2008, 06:07 PM
If you guys want to rustproof a vehicle without having any goop or nasty mess beong involved, do what I do - have the chassis and underside shot with chainsaw oil, it works very well and doesn't involve drilling holes, etc. I routinely have the underside of my vehicles complimented at tire shops when it's up on a lift.

how nice it must be to have your underside complimented so frequently! ;)

too late for this car i'm afraid... i have been stained forever... i'm not the kind of person that likes to live with regrets, but... i shoulda had just the underneath done
:(:(:( (that's what i thought they were going to do!)
it's not black on mine though it's pretty lightweight oil... kinda... creamy? pretty gross

...:(

repenttokyo
10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
it'll eventually wash off tim, don't worry. Then your bare underside will match mine ;)