PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Kansas

saluki540i
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Well it finally happened. Original windshield gone after I was fairly certain the world was ending...It sounded like a rifle shot when the rock hit the glass. Checked the archives to see what others ended up needing on their cars and decided to order the glazing kit for the new windshield. Original was a Sicursiv, but will probably opt for the Sekurit from BMW. All together a whopping $790.00 to keep the car original. Car has 79,080 miles now.

Tiger
10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
No insurance coverage? Windshield things happens all the time.

Russell
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Well it finally happened. Original windshield gone after I was fairly certain the world was ending...It sounded like a rifle shot when the rock hit the glass. Checked the archives to see what others ended up needing on their cars and decided to order the glazing kit for the new windshield. Original was a Sicursiv, but will probably opt for the Sekurit from BMW. All together a whopping $790.00 to keep the car original. Car has 79,080 miles now.
Make sure you get a qualified installer. BMW windshields are glued in. There are also clips need to hold trim on. Clips may also position the windshield, not sure. I would also be concerned about the potentail for wind noise. I have heard it can be an issue.

saluki540i
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd heard about the wind noise - it was more of a problem on the earlier cars if I remember correctly. I know our old 535i had it sometimes. Also heard the mirrors were redesigned to help this. One of the reasons I was particular about the OEM was the fact the placement clips are supposed to come on it, and be set properly. Don't know how true this is and will report back with more usable info. when it is done. I also ordered the glazing/trim kit because I didn't want to take a chance on a 13+ year old molding on this thing. Part of the kit is the clips that keep everything together. Pricing was $240.00 for the glazing, $50 for the clip kit, and $500.00 including the correct glue for the windshield which apparently is used on alot of german cars. Wether or not the car gets sold this fall, at least it'll be right.