PDA

View Full Version : steering/shaking/wandering!!! and lambda sensor mot failure

Lordsneldon
10-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Hi guys, just adjusted my steering box becasue there was lots of play in the column and the car seems to wander all over the road, thus needing constant correction. Which is very very annoying. Since I have adjusted the box, all that seems to have happened is that the steering is now heavyier, but some of the free play is still there and when the road wheels are moved left to right with the car jacked up, there is still some free play especially in the off side. Closer inspection to the steering set up reveals that the thrust arms need replacing - thats fine, but the orange link arm between the wheels and the bottom of the steering box where the link arm attaches to has movement in it when shaked by hand.
The MOT tester said he thought it was the nut on the bottom of the box had worked loose - I take it he means the big balljoint nut that the orange control bar liks to....?? I tried tightening that nut but it want loose one bit......i' m reckoning that the steering box is shot and needs replacing.....? :(

When the brakes are applied the car shakes all over the road and the steering wheel goes everywhere!! i put that down to the arms though, am i correct.
Thanks for any help, oh by the way the car is going to be used as a taxi!! :) so all my hard work on the car can actually earn me some money!:D

one quick last thing, can i use the lambda sensor out of a 518? or does it have to be the 2.0-2.5? THANX!

Tiger
10-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Change all your sway bar links... front and back. This will help with your stability.

Check the dogbone in the back and make sure it is good. Most of time, it would be bad if never replaced... may rattle and easily moved by hand. This is really critical for stability.

Steering... you overtightened your steering box. Go to bmwe34.net to learn how to do it right.

Most likely you need to replace your tie rods on your car.

whiskychaser
10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
I think what you are calling an orange link arm is no. 9 here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD62&mospid=47375&btnr=32_0334&hg=32&fg=25
If you have play on that and the thrust arms it will steer like a tea trolley and should never pass an MOT. While you are at it, check the rear subframe mounts and what some people call the 'dog bones'. If there is any play on these you get very 'interesting' rear steer. The steering box wears in the middle of the lock most. So if you adjust it right up for line ahead it may tighten up the more lock you put on. You might get away with a compromise if the other bits are in good shape. HTH

Tiger
10-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Number 9 is center link... it is the strongest of the three and kinda rarely wear out. Even the one I took off... one side is more worn... however, both would qualify as good. Tie rods were shot... no doubt.

Lordsneldon
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks very much for all your help everyone. ;) I shall give the whole setup some closer inspection...does anyone know about the lambda sensor? thanks