PDA

View Full Version : M50 - Guide Tube Oil Leak

anonymous1
10-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Hi,

Just thought I'd throw this on in case anyone experiences an oil leak as feel worth checking before you plan to swap the pan gasket.

A few weeks ago, I investigated an oil leak I'd had for a while... ended up using approx 2.5L of oil within 3-4 weeks. Fearing that I would end up needing my own oil refinery I finally got under the car to locate the leak. The front of the engine was dry and the oil seemed to be mainly isolated to the passenger (left) side of the engine. After checking around the gasket, this also seemed pretty clean... finally I noticed the oil seemed to keep accumulating around the base of the oil dipstick guide after driving.

The guide is easy to remove, 1 (10mm) bolt holds it to a bracket about half-way down and once undone you just have to pull it out of the sump. I found the O-ring at the bottom of this had actually split in half. A new O-ring was about 50p from the dealer (initially got one from Halford's, but this only lasted a week then split). After putting the new O-ring on, I lubricated with a bit of oil and then simply fitted it back into the sump - I found I had to put quite a lot of force on going back in - and remember to fix the bolt back in place.

Replaced this over a week (200ish miles) ago and not had a leak since. The car also seems to be running better under low rev acceleration. :D

HTH