PDA

View Full Version : new radiator today & HID lights

Russell
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Had my indy put in a new radiator today. Had them install a new nissen(sp). Will pick up the car tommorow. I had a leak on lower left side where aluminum and plastic joins. This is the third radiator on this car. This was an original BMW and lasted over 5 years and about 90,000 miles. It was due. Wish I had the time to have done it myself.

Also waiting for HID 9006 lights from ddmtuning. 4500k 55w with integrated ballasts. Supposed to have internal circurty to prevent "lights out" issues. We shall see. About $90.00 including shipping

Tiger
10-01-2008, 02:24 PM
55w HID?! Is that thing legal on the road? Most street legal HID are 35 watts.

Russell
10-01-2008, 02:30 PM
55w HID?! Is that thing legal on the road? Most street legal HID are 35 watts.
It is my understanding that no reto-fit HIDS are actually street legal. Neither 35w or 55w. Many people recommeded the 55w over the 35w versions.

I also have projector lights with a sharp cut-off. Will adjust as needed. I just want better lights so my old eyes can see on my daily commute this winter.

BennyM
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Where on Earth did you find HID lights with ballasts for $99?

Also waiting for HID 9006 lights from ddmtuning. 4500k 55w with integrated ballasts. Supposed to have internal circurty to prevent "lights out" issues. We shall see. About $90.00 including shipping

Tiger
10-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I know the retrofit is not legal... I just don't know if there are any legal HID system with 55W on OR cars. 35W HID is already super super bright.... I can't imagine what 55W is like.

whiskychaser
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm a bit puzzled why you guys have to improve your headlights. I dont have a problem with mine at all. I canvassed a few friends with E34s here and nobody seems to have a problem either. Well one guy I know would burn the paint off your car if he flashed you. But thats an E39 and there's always one :D This why 'euro' lights seem to be a popular conversion for you?

Tiger
10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Mine is Hella Black Euro with HID... installed since 2001. Zero problem.

Russell
10-02-2008, 04:13 PM
The USA lights are simply weak on low beam. High beam is fine. My commute in winter is on narrow 2 lane roads. I often leave before the sun is up and come home in the dark often in the rain. So you can see that really good light is important to me. Also not sure of your age, but older eyes like mine need more light.

Tiger
10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Absosutely... Please make sure your low beam glass is not pitted... that is the primary reason why we can't see.

Paul in NZ
10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
low beam is average,even with euro lenses...mine is significantly better with new "plus 30" H1 lamps,but....

whiskychaser
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Good light is important to me. Also not sure of your age, but older eyes like mine need more light.

Cant argue with that. Certainly need glasses and more light to read an A to Z these days:( But still dont have a problem with the headlights. Must be driving around like Mr MaGoo or something:D

JD525IA
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
so far, it has worked well. The fact that most of it is plastic and aluminum and sits so close to the metal fan clutch makes one nervous, but it is tougher than expected.

JD

Russell
10-03-2008, 05:04 AM
new rad installed. Also flushed and refilled systems with Zerex G0-5 50/50 mix with filtered tap water, new radiator cap and coolant sensor. Everything seems good to go for another 90,000 miles :) before we see another rad failure. BTW, the old rad was BMW OE but made by Beyre(sp) My indy says the Nissens is of better quality.

ILoveMPower
10-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Please post results of the DDMtuning lights!

Russell
10-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Will do. Have not received them yet.

Tiger
10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
If your glass is pitted... it will be severly below average. This is the biggest culprit of low performance.

russiankid
10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Keep us updated on the HID's. I want to get 5000k 55watt DDM low beams, curious if I will have to wire in some relays to prevent the error message.

Don't the 55watt ones create a lot more heat? Will this cause any damage to the housings or projectors?

Bo525i
10-04-2008, 03:03 AM
Keep us updated on the HID's. I want to get 5000k 55watt DDM low beams, curious if I will have to wire in some relays to prevent the error message.

Don't the 55watt ones create a lot more heat? Will this cause any damage to the housings or projectors?

Still cooler than the halogens, hence the official "need" for headlight washers, as the snow in winter doesnīt melt off as easily (at least thats why its illegal to retrofit HIDīs here in europe)

attack eagle
10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm a bit puzzled why you guys have to improve your headlights. I dont have a problem with mine at all. I canvassed a few friends with E34s here and nobody seems to have a problem either. Well one guy I know would burn the paint off your car if he flashed you. But thats an E39 and there's always one :D This why 'euro' lights seem to be a popular conversion for you?

because they suck, jsut not as badly as the US versions.

they are fine in very well lit areas (when not needed) or in the dark with no other traffic...

but in a medium illuminated area, or when you have other traffic oncoming, I literally can't see the light's output at all.

Now is that because the US pattern on other cars throws too much light up into your eyes? possibly, but I also wind up clicking my high beams on at every opportunity, and being very reticent to click them back off.

New Glass lenses BTW... made a huge difference, but they still are not up to par with newer cars... shoot my Talon had better stock lighting than the e34.

whiskychaser
10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
they are fine in very well lit areas (when not needed) or in the dark with no other traffic...

but in a medium illuminated area, or when you have other traffic oncoming, I literally can't see the light's output at all.

I agree with all the above. But you cant be using dip beam to 'see' by or you wouldnt be driving over 40mph once it gets dark. Maybe its time to get the video camera out