PDA

View Full Version : my LKM fix

infurno
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM
This may sound silly but it worked for me. Maybe it would help someone else too.

When driving my lights would go out, and sometimes they would come back on before I had a chance to pull over... This went on for a while. I tried repairs and exhausted my options...

I understand the LKM has relays which are mechanical devices. Thought maybe there is something wrong there.

I was ready to just buy a new module so I figured I had nothing to loose. Gave the LKM a few strong hits on the ground at different angles and its worked ever since. It's been 5 months and I have not had a single problem with the headlights.

I'm not suggesting this would work for everyone, but it may be something worth keeping in mind.

Tiger
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
LOL... you probably knocked some carbon loose. Aside from soldering the relay connections... 3 per relay. You also have to scrape the contacts clean... you will see it. Once this contact is clean, that is it.

2fast
10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I resolded my relays took 5 min start to finish,been sweet as.

Open the LKM and have a look.

dennyg
10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
I would like to try this with my 740 but 3850 lbs is too much for me to lift.

infurno
10-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I did attempt a resolder twice, following the instructions but it did not help. It was the first thing I tried. But im not very good at soldering, so maybe thats the problem.

That got me thinking that maybe there was something mechanically wrong with the relays. Maybe not. Something happened for sure, so just wanted to share that in case anybody else is having trouble.

Im the last person to go hit something as a fix, but I was about to throw the module in the trash.

If it starts to fail again I will just buy a new LKM.

So far so good :)