PDA

View Full Version : "Squeaking/squealing" noise while M30 is idling

ILoveMPower
09-30-2008, 10:55 PM
I parked at my buddies house the other night, and left the car running. I noticed a loud almost "squeaking" noise coming from the engine, it almost sounds like the belt, but it seems to come every revolution, 4 per second or so.

I don't have any problems with my belts slipping, maybe it is fan related? It really makes the car sound like a beater

Any help is much appreciated

- JK

sal_park
10-01-2008, 03:06 AM
I parked at my buddies house the other night, and left the car running. I noticed a loud almost "squeaking" noise coming from the engine, it almost sounds like the belt, but it seems to come every revolution, 4 per second or so.

I don't have any problems with my belts slipping, maybe it is fan related? It really makes the car sound like a beater

- JK

If you have aircon there are 2 belts - perhaps only 1 is slipping ?

e34.535i.sport
10-01-2008, 06:43 AM

- JK

I'd take the belt off to be sure it's not that or the water pump pulley making the noise...

bmwrp8
10-01-2008, 06:53 AM
i'd Take The Belt Off To Be Sure It's Not That Or The Water Pump Pulley Making The Noise...

+1

Derek A.
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Get a can of silicone spray. Hit the belts with the engine running. If the noise goes away, you need new belts. If it stays then you have bigger issues. Mine sounds like the water pump is loosing a bearing - but its just the belts and they are hanging on the wall waiting for me to get off my ass and install

ILoveMPower
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
The water pump has been recently replaced, I will spray some treatment on the belts and see if it quiets up a bit.