PDA

View Full Version : Friggin' LKM...

e34.535i.sport
09-30-2008, 04:11 AM
Ok so I'm looking at resoldering the LKM - the lights going on an off as they please is p*ssing me right off now!

Just tried to pull the LKM but I must be missing something as I couldn't get it out! I couldn't see any tabs or anything holding it in and I gave it a good pull. It's not budging - what's the score with this?

I've done a search but didn't find any issues with removing the thing... Typical that mine wants to resist arrest! :D

Thanks guys.

myles
09-30-2008, 04:24 AM
Its usually quite stiff to remove from its sockets. Pull straight up.

Ferret
09-30-2008, 06:25 AM
mine wants to resist arrest!

Typical bloody scouser :D

I see you're having sensor "fun" too - I'm going to have to drop my oil pan level sensor out this coming weekend, the car's determined to scream at me at every opportunity to tell me it's dying of starvation.

e34.535i.sport
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Typical bloody scouser :D

I see you're having sensor "fun" too - I'm going to have to drop my oil pan level sensor out this coming weekend, the car's determined to scream at me at every opportunity to tell me it's dying of starvation.

LOL thanks!!! :)

Rather you than me on the oil sensor my friend- I've done my maintenance now for this yr (I HOPE!!!), now I have headlights it's time to let the good times roll!!! At least until we get some decent weather (I'm not holding my breath on that one!)...

e34.535i.sport
09-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Its usually quite stiff to remove from its sockets. Pull straight up.

Thanks Myles... Ended up prying it upwards with a screwdriver to get it out!

For anyone who is worried about repairing their LKM don't be... It's a peice of p*ss. If you need pics etc e34.net has a great write up. The only thing it doesn't tell you is which links need resoldering, this may be because there are different variations? For me it was the two on the bottom right side as you look at it. Took me 5 minutes max (Once I got the bloody thing out!) - Bish bash bosh - And I don't have a clue about electronics and all that business so someone competent would probably be much quicker!

Paul in NZ
09-30-2008, 06:43 PM
now all you have to worry about is that low beam is pretty poor..although mine are much much better with new "plus30" bulbs...its the fact that they are new as much as anything else.I think one of my low beam bulbs was still the original!

attack eagle
10-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Thanks Myles... Ended up prying it upwards with a screwdriver to get it out!

For anyone who is worried about repairing their LKM don't be... It's a peice of p*ss. If you need pics etc e34.net has a great write up. The only thing it doesn't tell you is which links need resoldering, this may be because there are different variations? For me it was the two on the bottom right side as you look at it. Took me 5 minutes max (Once I got the bloody thing out!) - Bish bash bosh - And I don't have a clue about electronics and all that business so someone competent would probably be much quicker!

yeah, there are SEVERAL versions of both the lkm-L and LKM-B...
there are at least two lkm-l -USA, one is solid state single board (i have) and the other a two board with normal components.

anonymous1
10-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Recently my windows started to take an extra 60-90 seconds rest after the car was started before they would work... then they gave up completely (luckily whilst closed). I pulled the what was now the discomfort relay after reading a couple of threads on here (thanks as always) and found that one contact/joint/thingy had no solder on it at all, looked like it was wearing a crown.

5 minute job (like E34 I don't know anything about electronics/soldering) and the windows work again. Even have them as soon as I turn the engine on. Now I just need to work out how I align the glass on the passenger window as it seems to catch and judder alot nearer the top?!?

:D