PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding coolant and check engine light...

HIe34
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm bleeding my coolany system and when I close the bleed screw on the thermostat, my check engine light is coming on (solid). When I open the bleed screw, it goes off.

My temperature needle is closer to the cold blue than the middle which is also kind of weird since about 10 minutes before that, it was 3/4 of the way to Red.

Curious about the check engine light and is my thermostat going?

632 Regal
09-28-2008, 01:56 PM
not sure about the light and the bleed screw, you most likely have an air pocket in there. Search on the bleeding procedures as sometimes it's quite difficult to get it bled and working correctly.

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/search.php?searchid=502784

HIe34
09-28-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm bleeding my coolany system and when I close the bleed screw on the thermostat, my check engine light is coming on (solid). When I open the bleed screw, it goes off.

My temperature needle is closer to the cold blue than the middle which is also kind of weird since about 10 minutes before that, it was 3/4 of the way to Red.

Curious about the check engine light and is my thermostat going?

So yes this bleeding thing has been absolutely a blast..but I digress, went to add more coolant and there is a yellow/orangish plug floating in it. I'm assuming this plug goes at the bottom of the expansion tank and pressure blasted it out, can this plug be plugged back in or am I looking at a new one? Is that sold separate (i can't tell on realoem) or do I need a new expansion tank.

My problem now is that since that is dislodged, there is no pressure in the expansion tank and so when the coolant starts boiling it is pouring out of the expansion tank.

Any advice is appreciated.

HIe34
09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
So yes this bleeding thing has been absolutely a blast..but I digress, went to add more coolant and there is a yellow/orangish plug floating in it. I'm assuming this plug goes at the bottom of the expansion tank and pressure blasted it out, can this plug be plugged back in or am I looking at a new one? Is that sold separate (i can't tell on realoem) or do I need a new expansion tank.

My problem now is that since that is dislodged, there is no pressure in the expansion tank and so when the coolant starts boiling it is pouring out of the expansion tank.

Any advice is appreciated.

floaty thing: part of coolant level sensor

no pressure: bleed screw stripped.

more work ahead.

632 Regal
09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I think your car in your signature needs the door gaps adjusted.

Glad you figured something out with it!