PDA

View Full Version : Stock radio reception is failing?

Russell
09-27-2008, 03:50 PM
My stock radio reception seems to be failing especially on AM. Staions are geting harder to pick up and thre is often a popping noise on weak stations especially when I first turn on the radio. No difference when the engine is running.

Should I check the radio or the antenna amplifiers? I am at aloss to what to check or have checked. TIA

632 Regal
09-27-2008, 07:09 PM
check the area where the wiring is connected to the rear window first.

attack eagle
09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
been in the dash recently? sure you didn't unplug the second antenna lead?

Russell
09-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Nope Have not been in the dash area. Will check antenna/window connections.

Russell
09-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Not sure what I should look for aon rear window connections. Removed sail panels and a couple connections on driver's side looked "weak". I cleaned all the connections and treated with a contact cleaner detoxit (sp). May have made a slight difference. Wiggled all connections while set on a weak AM station-no difference. Perhaps I should remove stock radio and clean antenna connections on radio.

632 Regal
09-28-2008, 12:38 PM
yes, has to be some oxidation somewhere, did you look into the antenna booster? I read that somewhere yesterday...
Not sure what I should look for aon rear window connections. Removed sail panels and a couple connections on driver's side looked "weak". I cleaned all the connections and treated with a contact cleaner detoxit (sp). May have made a slight difference. Wiggled all connections while set on a weak AM station-no difference. Perhaps I should remove stock radio and clean antenna connections on radio.

Russell
09-28-2008, 02:28 PM
I suspect the antenna booster is working, at some level, as I disconnected one of the coxaxal like cables and had no AM reception. Next step will be to pul the radio.

tim eh?
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I suspect the antenna booster is working, at some level, as I disconnected one of the coxaxal like cables and had no AM reception. Next step will be to pul the radio.

yeah i've had head units lose reception and it was an internal problem i would for sure suspect that... never found out what the problem was because i just replaced the head unit.