PDA

View Full Version : cam belt on the e34 m20

allerston
09-25-2008, 11:35 AM
because i'm not a mechanic.i would like to know how to set the cam belt in the right position so that i dont break the rockers again if any of you have any pictures will be nice
thanks guys i 'm learning more and more everyday

whiskychaser
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
because i'm not a mechanic.i would like to know how to set the cam belt in the right position so that i dont break the rockers again if any of you have any pictures will be nice

I'm not clear how you broke rockers with the cam belt but never mind. I dont know the M20 either but rule of thumb is line up the timing marks then fit the belt so the longest run is as tight as you can get it. Whatever tension mechanism is fitted should take care of the rest. Then turn over a couple of times BY HAND and make sure the timing marks are still in line

E34-520iSE
09-25-2008, 05:21 PM
TDC is marked 'I' on the crank pulley as the O I T and the camwheel has an arrowpoint on the metal backing plate. The arrow needs to be pointing to the DOT on the head casting. Sorry I haven't got any pics but if you really need them I could dig my spare head out tomorrow and show you the marks.

HTH,

Shaun M

allerston
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
TDC is marked 'I' on the crank pulley as the O I T and the camwheel has an arrowpoint on the metal backing plate. The arrow needs to be pointing to the DOT on the head casting. Sorry I haven't got any pics but if you really need them I could dig my spare head out tomorrow and show you the marks.

HTH,

Shaun M

thank you shaun! i would really love to learn more about tdc. i have already seen the marking on the camwheel but i cannot find the marking on the crank pulley some pictures will really help if you don't mind. thanx in advance

allerston
09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm not clear how you broke rockers with the cam belt but never mind. I dont know the M20 either but rule of thumb is line up the timing marks then fit the belt so the longest run is as tight as you can get it. Whatever tension mechanism is fitted should take care of the rest. Then turn over a couple of times BY HAND and make sure the timing marks are still in line

because i did not know about the timing marks it was way of i put the cam belt on and assembled the everything and then tried and start my car thats how the rockers broke and the valves got bent.

M20Turbo
09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
allerston..... here you go: http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php?page=M20+timing+belt

E34-520iSE
09-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Allerston, sorry I haven't ben able to post any pics for you, I've been a busy bee! Here's another link (e30) but the crank pulley mark is the same as the one pictured.

http://e30world.com/engine/BMW-E30-timing-belt-and-water-pump

HTH,

Shaun M

whiskychaser
09-29-2008, 09:07 AM
because i did not know about the timing marks it was way of i put the cam belt on and assembled the everything and then tried and start my car thats how the rockers broke and the valves got bent.
Thats a very hard lesson you learned:( Perhaps a copy of Bentleys should be on your shopping list before too long?
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll280/whiskychaser/M20timingmarks.jpg

E34-520iSE
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
I wonder if he's found a new head? There were a couple on ebay this week

whiskychaser
09-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I wonder if he's found a new head? There were a couple on ebay this week
I think Allerston is in South Africa so postage may be a bit steep:D

E34-520iSE
09-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Yowsers I didn't notice that!!!!