PDA

View Full Version : whyyyyy is my m50 so much quieter on dino 10w40 than ....

ryan roopnarine
05-31-2004, 10:04 AM
mobil 1 5w30 and even dino 10w30...i know what the recommendation chart says for conventional oils and my engine. oil change pattern went something like this......m1-10-30 (6k), walmart bulk supertech 10w30-4k, maxlife conve. 10w30-4.5k (lots of low stress highway), mobil 1 5w30 6.7k, maxlife conv. 10w40---within 200 miles.....the maxlife 10w30 rates moderately high on kinematic viscosity, as opposed to the m1 w30s, which are almost in 20 weight territory....anyone care to venture a guess as to why all of the following oils except the w40 made NO difference in valve sounds? i want to try some of the german castrol ow30 the oil nerds like to ejaculate about at the next oil change as the k-viscosity is around 12.2....quite near to being in the 40 weight category, but if the mobil 1 w40 can quiet more.....i'll get some of that.

Brian C.
05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
....it seems to me that for, what....60-70 years there was no such thing as synthetic lubrication and cars and trucks made it through (Memorial Day references here) places like the Mojave Desert and North Africa and the Burma Road and Patton and his Red Ball Express and, while they may have prospered a bit more on some magical "man-made" lube....they acomplished the job they were built for. I have to stop and think once in a while and ask myself.....just because it's new....does it mean it's better??? What does "better" mean? You know that your car has some kind of life expectency. SOMEDAY, hopefully not too soon....it's gonna die....go bye-bye forever. Just like all of us. And whatever it does that accomplishes any extension of life is a plus. Conventional wisdom is not always correct. If it works for you....do it.

Brian C.
....it's a holiday and I'm drinkin' right now....
....sorta like one of Jeff''s posts....
...not that theres's anything wrong with that.....
...and just what the hell is Regal 632 anyway???
:D

Dave M
05-31-2004, 04:20 PM
comes in handy,

thanks, I was having lunch,

Dave M

Brian C.
05-31-2004, 04:32 PM
Just where IS that other leg coming from anyway??? Hhmmm.......

And Jeff.....come on bud.....you know you got nuthin' to explain to any of us pally-boy! Your wisdom is one of the best parts of this place.

"Sanity is always appreciated most by the opposing point of view!"

Brian C.
:)