PDA

View Full Version : Success! Ohhhh nooooo...

Jehu
09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Well got the floor-board and the gas pedal fitting welded in today. very thorough job I have my gas pedal back in full proper use. I even repositioned that pedal stop... guess which way I adjusted it...:)
But dang it all to h e double hockey sticks if I didn't end up with some issue after everything was back in.

heat,heat all the time, put the AC on,dial to full cold and you could boil an egg... its hot.. Where oh where to begin.. My first suspicion was the welding somehow smoked the Heater Vales wiring. it is pretty delicate from what i remember looking at the one i replaced a few months ago. That's one possibility i guess. Fried IHKA? What about the Resistor.. doesn't seem to be much that could go wrong with that... Then there are the controls.. had that off and unplugged to open it and replace that tiny face bulb.. maybe i F'ed that somehow... broke a wire? Forgot to reconnect some plug? I get fan speed response but its full heat all the time . I see the ac and recycle buttons light up and i get the stepper motors shutting the vents and hear/feel the AC compressor kick in did the welding maybe blow a fuse? I'll begin looking tomorrow.I seem to remember a White Three hole plug in the center control area in the wiring for which i didn't find a mate.. but i remember after doing the heater core there were unused plugs so I didn't sweat it.. maybe that connects the Vent Wheel Temp Dial .. This guy only charged me $125.00 I was surprised. I never asked him what he was going to charge me and all day he had mentioned in conversation costs of other jobs he had or had been asked to consider doing and I expected a bit more ... well at least i can put this episode in the past and head into Winter with solid floor-board and a steady gas pedal that goes much further to the floor than it used to .lol

filip00
09-22-2008, 06:56 PM
about the pedal stop...it's not there for entertainment purpose. if you adjust it too low, your gas wire might break....so better double check it!

about the constant heat...silly, but did you try hammering on the solenoid valve under the bonnet? my friend's car had that issue, after just 3-4 light blows, it started working like a charm.

Jehu
09-22-2008, 07:08 PM
about the pedal stop...it's not there for entertainment purpose. if you adjust it too low, your gas wire might break....so better double check it!

about the constant heat...silly, but did you try hammering on the solenoid valve under the bonnet? my friend's car had that issue, after just 3-4 light blows, it started working like a charm.

Thanks for the tip on the cable.. how would it break? I'll try rapping on the solenoids..

Jehu
09-22-2008, 11:51 PM
One problem fixed.... the cable fiixing collar had come out of the center vent where it snaps in holding the cable in place so turning the wheel didn't move the wire. snapped in place and the valves closed ok. Good

Now?? Radio doesn't recognize the CD Changer... it played ok when i left the shop but part of the way down the display first read "disc" with no number and nothing where it usually says "Track 1,2,3 etc" now the program button just switches between AM and FM 1 and 2... CD changer ejects and receives magazines then runs thru the discs as usual so it has power... did I perhaps break a wire near the CD cable plug or is the changer just toast?

Ferret
09-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the tip on the cable.. how would it break? I'll try rapping on the solenoids..

If you can push the pedal past the stop on the engine, you'll stretch the cable and it'll snap like so, leaving you stranded:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_2410Medium.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/Ferret101/Car/IMG_2409Medium.jpg

Using a £2 coin wedged in the throttle plate got me home, though nearly didnt make it up a big ass hill.

Jehu
09-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Gnarly..... one day I'll 'ave me cake an' eat it too...

Jon K
09-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah that cable in the center vent needs to be present

As for the CD player, try unplugging it and replugging it back in - could be bizarre. I generally disconnect everything if welding on the car.

Did you remove the battery terminals before welding?

pgrindstaff
09-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Like Ferret said, the throttle cable breaking or fraying can create quite a problem. The throttle cable in my 530 frayed and made the throttle hang open. Needless to say, it was quite interesting being stuck in the middle of traffic stopped at a light. One of these days I'll get the instructions back up on either my server or bmwe34.net for replacing all of the bowden cables.

Jehu
09-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah that cable in the center vent needs to be present

As for the CD player, try unplugging it and replugging it back in - could be bizarre. I generally disconnect everything if welding on the car.

Did you remove the battery terminals before welding?

I removed both cables from the Battery and I pulled the Radio and DME but nothing else. The shop owner assured he grounds the rig juist inches from where he welds and he's never had a problem.. well maybe just never any that have been brought to his attention... i'll try your idea.. thanks

Jehu
09-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Like Ferret said, the throttle cable breaking or fraying can create quite a problem. The throttle cable in my 530 frayed and made the throttle hang open. Needless to say, it was quite interesting being stuck in the middle of traffic stopped at a light. One of these days I'll get the instructions back up on either my server or bmwe34.net for replacing all of the bowden cables.

So I should have someone floor my accelerator pedal while i check the extention of the cable and if itcomes into contact with anything i should raise the pedal stop again.. If I were really smart I'd order a new cable and have it rolled up in my trunk just in case...

pgrindstaff
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
If I were really smart I'd order a new cable and have it rolled up in my trunk just in case...

That could work, however the throttle cable is the most difficult cable to replace. Have to take out the lower dash trim pieces, move the aux. water pump/heat valve out of the way, and fish the cable through a small hole in the firewall. Doesn't sound all that difficult but it is not something I want to be caught doing on the side of the road if you know what I mean.

filip00
09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
That could work, however the throttle cable is the most difficult cable to replace. Have to take out the lower dash trim pieces, move the aux. water pump/heat valve out of the way, and fish the cable through a small hole in the firewall. Doesn't sound all that difficult but it is not something I want to be caught doing on the side of the road if you know what I mean.

i did something very similar, after installing aftermarket alarm on my car, i had to get some wires from under the bonnet inside the car...also had to fish those wires, fortunately it was on the passengers side which made it...huh.."easier". not something you're looking forward on doing.