PDA

View Full Version : Picked up E36 325is non vanos.... I love it

Bruno
05-31-2004, 07:58 AM
I think I should have driven an E36 a long time ago, this is a very nice car, roomy and light.

It does lack a lot of power though. But with a 2.8 engine block cams, headers... that should do the trick.
This will do a great track car.

I will post all the pics and development of the car in: www.racingking.ca (http://www.racingking.ca)

BigD
05-31-2004, 10:04 AM
You should get an ETA block and put an i head on it. That is what I hear a lot of guys do. The ETA is designed for low end torque but dies at the top end. So you add the i head and you have the best of both worlds. You should ask Charlie about it, he's done it for people several times.

George M
05-31-2004, 11:04 AM
Congrats Bruno...glad you like the new ride.
George

Bruno
05-31-2004, 11:16 AM
You should get an ETA block and put an i head on it. That is what I hear a lot of guys do. The ETA is designed for low end torque but dies at the top end. So you add the i head and you have the best of both worlds. You should ask Charlie about it, he's done it for people several times.

I am getting a M50 engine non vanos in a E36, not a E30 325is

Bruno
05-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Thanks George,

It is a completely different car... Very nice to drive, I hope to be able to finish the suspension work for September and go to the Glen.

BigD
05-31-2004, 11:25 AM
I am getting a M50 engine non vanos in a E36, not a E30 325is

I'm sorry, I misread your post as saying you're getting a 2.8 block, not 2.8 block cams. :)

Rigmaster
05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Putting an "i" head on an eta block is NOT a good idea. You will lower the compression ratio (so...it might be good for a turbo- but not much else!). The "i" head on an eta block is a commonly spread IDEA, but in practice, it sucks.

Now, if you want to build a nice 2.7l M20 "stroker" motor on a budget, get an '88 (only) "super" eta block, put the "i" head on it (or, just swap in the "i" cam + valve springs, as the "super" eta head casting is the same as the "i" casting), use an "i" ECU with custom chip, "i" intake, etc and you have a nie 2.7l "i" stroker!

Bret.

winfred
05-31-2004, 10:51 PM
or do what i am in the process of doing, i head, e block, 524 diesel forged crank, custom oversized pistons (thinking about 10:1) shrick cam (thinking about 288) extrudehoned intake, bigger valves........the e head has real small chambers and dished pistons and 9:1 comp, the i has dished/domed pistons and larger chambers that the pistons fit into and 8.8:1 comp. the e has a slightly longer stroke to get 2.7 out of the same bore as the i's 2.5, i am building a 2.9 by overboring and using a forged crank from a 524td that has the same stroke as a e cast crank, it's just stronger

Putting an "i" head on an eta block is NOT a good idea. You will lower the compression ratio (so...it might be good for a turbo- but not much else!). The "i" head on an eta block is a commonly spread IDEA, but in practice, it sucks.

Now, if you want to build a nice 2.7l M20 "stroker" motor on a budget, get an '88 (only) "super" eta block, put the "i" head on it (or, just swap in the "i" cam + valve springs, as the "super" eta head casting is the same as the "i" casting), use an "i" ECU with custom chip, "i" intake, etc and you have a nie 2.7l "i" stroker!

Bret.

Mark D“Sylva
06-01-2004, 07:19 AM
I think I should have driven an E36 a long time ago, this is a very nice car, roomy and light.

It does lack a lot of power though. But with a 2.8 engine block cams, headers... that should do the trick.
This will do a great track car.

I will post all the pics and development of the car in: www.racingking.ca (http://www.racingking.ca)

When I get back from Germany, you can try an EAT chip for your car.
I am posting this message from Hamburg.

Mark