PDA

View Full Version : seat heat pads

tim eh?
09-21-2008, 02:18 PM
i'm trying to fix a couple of things on my drivers seat base. specifically, the heat pad is dead and there is a tear in the stitching.
i didn't realize the pads from my old seats would be different and i'm trying to think outside the box a little...
i'm wondering...

could i just put in a wal-mart type heat pad, the ones you plug into the lighter and just wire it into the existing setup?

when i test the heatpads i just use a portable battery pack and they heat up like normal. i don't see the difference and redoing the wiring would be easy enough. i dunno this is going to be another pita i can see so i would rather put in something new than the pads from my old 20 year old seats or $4lt i'd dig out of a scrapyard. it would make a rear seat retrofit easier too...

i put my old drivers seat base for now so i can spend some time on this... wow screwing with the seats is a billion times easier when you take the backs off first!

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5961&stc=1&d=1222024184
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5962&stc=1&d=1222024184
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5963&stc=1&d=1222024184

not such a great deal on the seats... :(

Ross
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Why do you want to change the heat pads if they work? Am I missing something here?
Don't bother with those plug in heaters, if it works at all I wouldn't expect them to last long. Then you are faced withh the task over again.

Tiger
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM
You can buy new retrofit seat heater kit and put it in place of the factory unit. I don't think it is necessary to sew it into the seat... just a couple of stitches will do.

Black 535i
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
i I had the same issue in my car last fall. Ended up taking the seat out of the car, removing the back and then removing the leather cover and taking it to a shoe repair guy (best stitching machines) and having him redo all the seams. Works like wonders and on $30.00 for driver's seat. Hardest part was reinstalling the leather cover. Took me about 2-3 hours to get it back on almost perfectly. Take your time and do it indoors as the warmer the leather, the easier it is to pull. I can send photo of the results later if you like.

tim eh?
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
You can buy new retrofit seat heater kiti'm searching for it with little success, although i'm seeing my mechanic this week and he can probably get me something maybe i hope.

Why do you want to change the heat pads if they work? Am I missing something here?

when i test the heatpads i just use a portable battery pack and they heat up like normal EXCEPT for the one under my butt... sorry for the confusion.

i I had the same issue in my car last fall. Ended up taking the seat out of the car, removing the back and then removing the leather cover and taking it to a shoe repair guy (best stitching machines) and having him redo all the seams. Works like wonders and on $30.00 for driver's seat. Hardest part was reinstalling the leather cover. Took me about 2-3 hours to get it back on almost perfectly. Take your time and do it indoors as the warmer the leather, the easier it is to pull. I can send photo of the results later if you like. that's what i was hoping to do, although i might not even need to. i'm mostly stuck on how to get the cover off of these metal runner things. (except where i tore it, that bit was easy to get off lol)

Tiger
09-22-2008, 04:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Universal-Dual-Pad-Carbon-Fiber-Seat-Heater-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1234Q7c39Q3a1 Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2e c0Q2em14QQhashZitem160283266148QQitemZ160283266148

bubba966
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
i'm mostly stuck on how to get the cover off of these metal runner things. (except where i tore it, that bit was easy to get off lol)

Need hog ring pliers to get the cover off, and to put it back on. Also will need new hog rings when you put it back on.

sal_park
09-23-2008, 06:18 AM
i'm mostly stuck on how to get the cover off of these metal runner things

try this:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/135542

Ross
09-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Those rods pull out. They are there to hold the cover into the tuck on each side. Probably looped over in the back, take a close look.
You are one ambitious E34'er there Tim. I ought to let you borrow a few of my cars for some of that lovin' you put on 'em.

tim eh?
09-23-2008, 09:37 AM
try this:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/135542

awesome link - thankyou!

Those rods pull out. They are there to hold the cover into the tuck on each side. Probably looped over in the back, take a close look.
You are one ambitious E34'er there Tim. I ought to let you borrow a few of my cars for some of that lovin' you put on 'em.

yep, still ambitious but a little less enthisiastic every day.... i just want it to look clean and work when i need it. and my ass is so skinny i need the heat in winter. so when are you driving one of yours up? - i've cleaned all the brushes and i have some paint left over :D

Tiger
09-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Augh! that link freaks me out of doing my kits... I got 4 of em...

tim eh?
09-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Augh! that link freaks me out of doing my kits... I got 4 of em...

i must admit i'm trying to think of a way around all that trouble myself. i actually looked up hog-ring pliers on wikipedia shows what i know...

i'm not too keen on adding an extra switch either... would rather use the one that's there and works, so maybe i'll try shoving an old pad in there... not sure about this... i'll let y'all know of course...

Scott C
09-23-2008, 06:53 PM
i must admit i'm trying to think of a way around all that trouble myself. i actually looked up hog-ring pliers on wikipedia shows what i know...

i'm not too keen on adding an extra switch either... would rather use the one that's there and works, so maybe i'll try shoving an old pad in there... not sure about this... i'll let y'all know of course...

It took me about 4 hours to do (seat bottom only) - and that was taking my sweet time (not counting the fact that I had to put the seat in 3 times). On my car the original was built into the seat cover - this is important to note because unless you do something there is one horizontal music wire bar that is held in with hog rings that you will not be able to re attach - i decided warmth over looks although you cant tell. I guess you could attach it to the new heater but i did not feel it worth it. I am using the original switch and it is nice and toasty again.

Scott

sal_park
09-24-2008, 05:50 AM
I'm thinking about installing heated seats in my 525 - it currently has none but I like the idea of them when it gets a bit colder. I've found some here for ~50 gbp here:

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/productdetail.asp?pid=696

Elekta
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
volvo heat pad replacement is perfect match, and it's $35 for bottom and $35for back. I bought new heating elements for my old 530iT and took the car to leather menders, local indy, and I got the car back dead solid perfect for two seats r&r heating elements, and they reconditioned the back seats all for $300. Sometimes you just let the experts sort it out for you...you just bring them the car and the parts and they take care of it.

hth's