PDA

View Full Version : 520i E34 - Check Engine light?

andylarox
09-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi, I bought a 1993 520iA E34 last week, and it's been playing up a bit - stalling at traffic lights and not re-starting for 10 mins or so.
I was hoping to be able to do the 'stomp test' to get it to give me some fault codes. However I can't find the Check Engine light - does this model actually have a Check Engine light? I can't see one when the ignition is turned on. The bulb could have blown I guess?
The manual isn't very clear, it show a completely different instrument cluster to the one I have.
Any help appreciated.

DaveVoorhis
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM
However I can't find the Check Engine light - does this model actually have a Check Engine light?
To my knowledge, Euro-spec E34s generally do not have a functioning Check Engine light, nor does the stomp test work even if you install a bulb in the appropriate slot.

genphreak
09-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Check fuel pressure (culprits being FP Regulator, fuel pump and Idle control valve) in that order. Another thing to check for is the return valve on the fuel tank, maybe $15 USD from BMAparts.com.

And always look for vacuum leaks- you need to religously check and follow every hose and connection on the intake manifold: A vacuum leak on the FPR or elsewhere on an M50 can cause strange chaotic symptoms.

Get a new regulator if you are having problems and can't be 100% its the furl pump.

All that said, you need to check that a relay is not malfuncitoning when it or the car gets hot (completelty different things), so be sure to look for power a the fuel pump (on one of theose wonderful occasions that it won't start) and spark.

The stomp test works only on US cars and a few oddities. Not main stream euro models like yours. :( Nick