PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Lube Experience...

Tiger
09-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am wondering about oil... and what you guys have experienced... I know about bobtheoilguy... but his website seems to be on the technical side and now is really hard to navigate and server is slow.

From bob's site, seems to be Schaeffer oil is top of the line... and Schaeffer is hard to get. Amsoil is much easier to get and can get a good discount when you buy 6 months membership.

Lubro Moly motor oil also seems to have a high rating too... all because that Schaeffer and Lubro Moly has Moly stuff in them.

I know most of us use regular synthetic stuff... Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol... no need to mention them...

My game plan is this... if we can reduce the rolling friction of all the moving parts on our car, we should be able to raise our fuel mileage... now I mean, wheel bearing grease, rear end differential gear oil, motor oil... and whatever other possible grease oil for moving the car...

So that is why I want some opinions on these oil and grrease from these 'special' places. Any taker?

bad_manners_god
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't forget smaller/lighter wheels and skinny tires to help gas milleage

ryan roopnarine
09-19-2008, 08:58 AM
both practical experience and the virgin oil reports over at bob..... indicate that mobil 1 anything is on the thin side of the scale for its declared weight. i'm sure that i'm not the only one that tried putting mobil 1 75w90 into my lsd rear end and having it groan as a result. i ended up putting in royal purple 75w140 (the right grade) and it worked fine. i think that mobil 1 products are the way to go to accomplish this. at my next diff. oil change, i'm going to try the m1 75w90 with a bottle of lsd additive and see if it changes anything.

bubba966
09-19-2008, 06:48 PM
I'd looked at a test that had shown changing the engine oil in big rigs over to Amsoil resulted in an 8% increase in mileage due to the reduced friction. Before I started running Amsoil stuff in my vehicles I asked a buddy what kind of improvements he'd seen when he started running Amsoil in his engine/tranny/diff. He says he got a 15-17% increase in mileage after he swapped everything over to Amsoil.

I've certainly noticed a reduction in friction when I started running Amsoil engine oil. Even reduced the friction better than Mobil 1 in my M-Sport. Have currently got Redline in the diff on the M-Sport, that's only because the PO put it in there. Will be Amsoil when I change the fluid. Need to put Amsoil in the truck's diff as well. Could use to fill the truck's tranny with Amsoil too, but it needs a bit over 15 quarts for a change.

Tiger
09-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Wow... that's great for Amsoil... what specific oil did your buddy and you use? There are so many types of motor oil.

Don't forget grease at the wheel bearing... this is critical too. At least the front one...

bubba966
09-20-2008, 05:03 PM
E34 wheel bearings aren't greased.

I run Amsoil Signature Series 0w30 http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx in my M-Sport & in my '79 Chevy C20. Think my buddy uses their 5w30 http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx in his Chevy truck.

I've got 75w90 Severe Gear http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx for the diff in my M-Sport. Have got some for the C20 as well. Will put their racing ATF http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/art.aspx in the C20's tranny at some point (as it's a custom built heavy duty drag racing tranny). Still haven't decided if I'll put their regular ATF http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx in the M-Sport's tranny as it requires a very specific fluid. But you already know about the fluid requirements of the 5HP30. Guess I could ask them if it meets the specs of the proper fluid or not.

Have used Amsoil's Euro Formula http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx in a '95 Miata, M50B25TU, and S38B36. That works well, but not quite as good at friction reduction as the 0w30 is. Only reason the Euro Formula was put in those vehicles and not the 0w30 is the cost.

I'd put the 0W30 in your M60 if you don't mind the cost. If not, then use the Euro or the 5w30 (not the 5w30 XL). The 0w30 w/93 octane EAT chip is a great combo in my M-Sport.

attack eagle
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
i'm sure that i'm not the only one that tried putting mobil 1 75w90 into my lsd rear end and having it groan as a result. i ended up putting in royal purple 75w140 (the right grade) and it worked fine. i think that mobil 1 products are the way to go to accomplish this. at my next diff. oil change, i'm going to try the m1 75w90 with a bottle of lsd additive and see if it changes anything.
that's because 75w90 does not have enough friction modifier... if you read the bottle with a critical eye, it is ok for topping off lsds, not filling.
80w140 (same weight as BMW's newer gear oil) does have friction modifier. has little to nothing to do with weight. RP is well known also for being on the very low end of the acceptable weight scale.

Tiger
09-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the info... I would use the 0w30 too for the motor oil.

bubba966
09-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Their 0w30 is a 35,000 mile oil if given the proper filtration. Unfortunately Amsoil doesn't make a filter for BMW canister style filters.

So, I've been putting a new filter in every 5,000 miles and will change the oil and filter at either 20,000 or 25,000 miles. I should just install one of their bypass filter systems at some point. Wouldn't be cheap as I'd want to do it by using one of the oil filter housings that had ports for an oil cooler. As I'd use the oil cooler fittings for the filter bypass system.

Bill R.
09-21-2008, 01:26 PM
previa in the quest for better mileage a couple of years ago... Like clockwork it gets 18 in town,loaded,unloaded,uphill downhill,ac/on always.

I switched to mobil one 5w30,switched automatic to mobil one ,used redline shockproof in the diff, since its the lightest you can get. Bought michelin low rolling resistance tires and repacked the front wheel bearing with mobil one synthetic grease.

Run tires just below the max allowed all the time and backed off rear brake adjusters. At the same time i also switched to NGK iridium plugs, you remember... with all these changes i picked up approx. 1.5 to 2 mpg on average in town. I never use this on the highway so i don't know what kind of changes it may have made there. So now its about 19.5 typically depending on local gas ethanol content...

On another note something that i thought was cool, when working on flexfuel cars the autoenginuity scan tool enhanced will tell you the exact percentage of ethanol present in the gas , I notice that some of them are fudging here 10% max is allowed in regular and i'm seeing some at 11 and 12% and i don't work on that many flex fuel cars so there must be alot of it out there

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am wondering about oil... and what you guys have experienced... I know about bobtheoilguy... but his website seems to be on the technical side and now is really hard to navigate and server is slow.

From bob's site, seems to be Schaeffer oil is top of the line... and Schaeffer is hard to get. Amsoil is much easier to get and can get a good discount when you buy 6 months membership.

Lubro Moly motor oil also seems to have a high rating too... all because that Schaeffer and Lubro Moly has Moly stuff in them.

I know most of us use regular synthetic stuff... Mobil 1, Valvoline, Castrol... no need to mention them...

My game plan is this... if we can reduce the rolling friction of all the moving parts on our car, we should be able to raise our fuel mileage... now I mean, wheel bearing grease, rear end differential gear oil, motor oil... and whatever other possible grease oil for moving the car...

So that is why I want some opinions on these oil and grrease from these 'special' places. Any taker?