PDA

View Full Version : After market radio questions.

russiankid
09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I am getting pretty fed up with having a cassette player. So I went through some boxes and found two headunits. One is a Honda unit and one is a Durabrand unit. I know for a fact the Honda unit has orange backlighting, and I think the Durabrand does too.

Before I begin, this installation is only for the mean time. I am going to be upgrading to a much better radio in the future but for now I need something better.

1. The original radio that is in there right now has 3 connectors. One main connector for the power, speakers, etc. Then it has one for the antenna and one right next to it for something else. What does this wire do? How would I wire it into the aftermarket unit? My guess is that it's for displaying the current radio station on the dash. The car is a 95' 525i.

Now with the questions regarding the units themselves.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/S6301779.jpg

The unit on the left is the Honda unit. This is the one that I would prefer using. However, if you notice the mounting is a little different than from what BMW uses. I noticed that the aftermarket radio on the right and the BMW radio both have a rod sticking out of the radio to rest on the bracket. If I were to install this Honda radio, how would I go about mounting the radio securely in place?

The aftermarket unit is an easy install. Nothing special is needed other than the wiring harness adapter. I do not like the aftermarket unit do to it being silver and cheap, but it will work for now if thats the route I have to take do to the mounting issue with the Honda radio.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/russian03rustler/S6301778.jpg

Also, don't flame me for using a Honda radio. You wouldn't even know it was a Honda radio if I didn't tell you.:p

bmwrp8
09-15-2008, 09:02 AM
not sure but maybe for the cd changer?

russiankid
09-15-2008, 01:13 PM
not sure but maybe for the cd changer?

Could be. Right now I found a CD changer in good shape for $75. However, I think the plug in my trunk is a square plug instead of the round DIN plug.

attack eagle
09-15-2008, 02:15 PM
honda won;t work, face is too big, and they are generally ISO mount which is incompatible with the sleeve style din mount you will have to use.

OEM radios have a diversity antenna, that may be the second plug you see if it is tiny and black. you jsut don;t use it.

to add an aftermarket radio to your 95, you buy an antenna adapter to convert from german to normal antenna ends. hen you buy a wire harness adapter forthe OEM wiring plug, and conenct that to the wiring harness for the radio itself.

that is all you will use, and that is all you will connect.

russiankid
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
I found a guy parting out a 95' 540i who has a CD changer for $75. I am probably going to go ahead and get that instead of messing around with wiring.

P.S. Thanks for all the info.

Jehu
10-19-2008, 07:26 PM
honda won;t work, face is too big, and they are generally ISO mount which is incompatible with the sleeve style din mount you will have to use.

OEM radios have a diversity antenna, that may be the second plug you see if it is tiny and black. you jsut don;t use it.

to add an aftermarket radio to your 95, you buy an antenna adapter to convert from german to normal antenna ends. hen you buy a wire harness adapter forthe OEM wiring plug, and conenct that to the wiring harness for the radio itself.

that is all you will use, and that is all you will connect.

Are there any kits around to SECURE an aftermarket Radio in the dash slot? I have an Alpine CDA-9885 (http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=500CDA9805&tp=5684)whose chassis is the same size at the stock radio including the faceplate so it looks like it will slide right in but whereas the original uses the sliding screws to stabilize it i don't see how I can get this unit to sit snugly and not flounce around .. Between the Radio and Climate wiring harnesses and the Vent slider cables can anything stabilize the unit? When I had it in a Chevy van I actually just crammed Styrofoam pieces in with it but there doesn't seem to be any where something like this would rest in the E34 . After the Radio/Climate Control Frame its just open space till the air box which is a lot of space to jam full of material and heat being what it is I'd be reluctant to do something like that...

attack eagle
10-19-2008, 11:26 PM
see answer on bf.c

cliffs, use the sleeve and rear support supplied with the headunit