PDA

View Full Version : OT: prestone all makes with dexcool?

ryan roopnarine
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
long story short

the low coolant light in my mother's chevrolet (2001 chevy impala 3.4) came on. i am unable to determine whether or not the resivoir was actually empty, or if it was just a sensor malfunction. 3 weeks ago, while i was changing the spark plugs, the level was above cold, so there was an adequate amount in it.

arrived at her house today to see a half empty jug of prestone all-makes all models antifreeze sitting on the shelf.

i flushed the system out and put new dexcool in the car in november 2007, less than 12k miles ago.

is there a reason that prestone still sells a separate dex-cool product, or is the all makes all models stuff good to go in this application?

thanks.

632 Regal
09-12-2008, 07:53 PM
all I remember is the orange crap turns into cheese if mixed with anything but.

Bill R.
09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
specs, the all makes all models extended life evidently hasn't been tested but it states clearly all makes all modes, I wouldn't hesitate to use the extended life all makes etc... in fact i have put it in a number of customers cars with no problems, its green so it doesn't make a pretty orange color when blended with dexcool but it should be fine.

long story short

the low coolant light in my mother's chevrolet (2001 chevy impala 3.4) came on. i am unable to determine whether or not the resivoir was actually empty, or if it was just a sensor malfunction. 3 weeks ago, while i was changing the spark plugs, the level was above cold, so there was an adequate amount in it.

arrived at her house today to see a half empty jug of prestone all-makes all models antifreeze sitting on the shelf.

i flushed the system out and put new dexcool in the car in november 2007, less than 12k miles ago.

is there a reason that prestone still sells a separate dex-cool product, or is the all makes all models stuff good to go in this application?

thanks.

ryan roopnarine
09-12-2008, 10:00 PM
good to know bill.

i don't understand how anyone buys gm anything these days. the 99 taurus has been a paragon of reliability compared to this thing. we suspect that it needs another intake manifold gasket as it is leaking somewhere unusual, though it has only been 30k miles since GM themselves changed one out. it only has ~100k and so far i've done two calipers, need to do a brake MC, both cv axles, deal with the reason why the blower doesn't come on when you turn it sometimes until you play with it, put an oxygen sensor on it, need to put plug wires on it because one tore out from the wire when i tried to change the plug. the fleet company has done a LIM gasket on it. really, why would anyone buy one of these other than the fact that it is a 3400lb car that gets a real 22mpg city when everything is working? i'm anticipating pressure testing the cooling system tomorrow and seeing if it burps somewhere easy, changing the o2 sensor, and putting synthetic motor oil into it in case the engine is chugging water. oh, and sending the oil off to get analysed for water.

Bill R.
09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
that problem with the 3.4's. I've done a couple of them and it seems to work, so far anyway. Also in that motor always use the GM sealing pellets on the cooling system. The ones with ginger in them.

good to know bill.

i don't understand how anyone buys gm anything these days. the 99 taurus has been a paragon of reliability compared to this thing. we suspect that it needs another intake manifold gasket as it is leaking somewhere unusual, though it has only been 30k miles since GM themselves changed one out. it only has ~100k and so far i've done two calipers, need to do a brake MC, both cv axles, deal with the reason why the blower doesn't come on when you turn it sometimes until you play with it, put an oxygen sensor on it, need to put plug wires on it because one tore out from the wire when i tried to change the plug. the fleet company has done a LIM gasket on it. really, why would anyone buy one of these other than the fact that it is a 3400lb car that gets a real 22mpg city when everything is working? i'm anticipating pressure testing the cooling system tomorrow and seeing if it burps somewhere easy, changing the o2 sensor, and putting synthetic motor oil into it in case the engine is chugging water. oh, and sending the oil off to get analysed for water.

Jon K
09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
just used some PEAK "mix with any coolant" coolant in sisters car and worked fine

bmwrp8
09-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Is it ok to put prestone coolant in the e34?

ryan roopnarine
09-15-2008, 08:58 AM
just used some PEAK "mix with any coolant" coolant in sisters car and worked fine

dexcool is a far different animal than anything that ever went into a german car.