PDA

View Full Version : Another wanting to buy thread, but maybe an intrduction as well!

oorx7
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I am looking at a 91 535i-5 here in Chicago. The interior is perfect as is the exterior. No rust or dents. Interior has no tears and all the electronics work minus some of the lights on the dash display ( read out is very dim on the right hand side). No modifications what so ever, 5-speed and 111,000 miles. No records. Drives smooth and no noticeable clunks or vibrations in the suspension, only reached 60+ once though. Every thing seems to check out. I have been reading through many forums to educate my self about these cars. I would like a little advice on some things, which I have stated below.

Questions:

Does a 535i, 5-speed with heated seats have a LSD? Any easy ways to tell? He said no, but he was rather young and might not know him self.

During the drive, and with about 5 minutes of idle in a parking lot after the drive, the motor never ran hotter than half way on gauge. Also the car has no leaks that I could see, as he also stated this. Although while I was checking the motor it seemed to have a noticeable tick. Got under the car and it appeared to be louder. I was told by an e34 enthusiast that the valve train is non hydraulic and this can make some noise, as do the Bosch injectors. It also has an exhaust leak, maybe it could be the catalytic converter leaking and causing the sound. Should I be deterred by this?

Unfortunately My friend who knows these cars in and out will not be available till some time next week. He has told me through our conversations and my analysis, that this seems to be a rather good deal. I guess I am just looking for additional advice to ease my mind.

Thanks in advance;
Brandon

BTW, I am looking forward to owning this car (first BMW). I am half owner of CJ-motorsports, and will be making this car into a nice daily cruiser. If you look on our website, you will see that I can't leave well enough alone, though. ;)

oorx7
09-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Here are some pics of her.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/oorx7/000_0059.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/oorx7/000_0068.jpg

Ross
09-12-2008, 06:16 PM
If you plug the VIN in at realoem.com youb will be able to determine if it was equipped with a limited slip differential.
As for the tick: the injectors click and yes it's a mechanical valvetrain given to a bit of noise. That you state it's more noticeable from under concerns me.
BMW engines don't sound different than any other if they're sick.

e34.535i.sport
09-12-2008, 06:21 PM
I am looking at a 91 535i-5 here in Chicago. The interior is perfect as is the exterior. No rust or dents. Interior has no tears and all the electronics work minus some of the lights on the dash display ( read out is very dim on the right hand side). No modifications what so ever, 5-speed and 111,000 miles. No records. Drives smooth and no noticeable clunks or vibrations in the suspension, only reached 60+ once though. Every thing seems to check out. I have been reading through many forums to educate my self about these cars. I would like a little advice on some things, which I have stated below.

Questions:

Does a 535i, 5-speed with heated seats have a LSD? Any easy ways to tell? He said no, but he was rather young and might not know him self.

During the drive, and with about 5 minutes of idle in a parking lot after the drive, the motor never ran hotter than half way on gauge. Also the car has no leaks that I could see, as he also stated this. Although while I was checking the motor it seemed to have a noticeable tick. Got under the car and it appeared to be louder. I was told by an e34 enthusiast that the valve train is non hydraulic and this can make some noise, as do the Bosch injectors. It also has an exhaust leak, maybe it could be the catalytic converter leaking and causing the sound. Should I be deterred by this?

Unfortunately My friend who knows these cars in and out will not be available till some time next week. He has told me through our conversations and my analysis, that this seems to be a rather good deal. I guess I am just looking for additional advice to ease my mind.

Thanks in advance;
Brandon

BTW, I am looking forward to owning this car (first BMW). I am half owner of CJ-motorsports, and will be making this car into a nice daily cruiser. If you look on our website, you will see that I can't leave well enough alone, though. ;)

Hi and Welcome!!!

I have a 535i and the injectors do tick quite loudly, it's healthy. The valves may also need adjusting which is not a big job... Done it myself recently.

Best way to tell if the diff is Limited Slip is to find the plate with the ratio info on it - it should say 's'3.64 or similar... The 's' is what denotes LSD IIRC...
Mine is the sport and it apparently came with LSD - although I've been underneath and couldn't find anything resembling a plate to denote what it is. Need to get it on ramps really to examine it properly... Not so easy on the floor! Someone here will know exactly where to locate it...

If it does need a new CAT that would put me right off personally... And I wouldn't buy a car without records or service history.

Keep us informed!! :D

oorx7
09-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I would like to make my decision by tomorrow.

Actually I don't have the VIN. I will call and get it right. Any one have a car fax account.

FYI. I live in Illinois and cars older than OBD2 (<1996) are emisions exept. So if the cat is bad, is it really necessary to buy a factory new one?

bubba966
09-12-2008, 07:07 PM
FYI. I live in Illinois and cars older than OBD2 (<1996) are emisions exept. So if the cat is bad, is it really necessary to buy a factory new one?

Not needed for proper operation of the car. And as there's no O2 sensors after the cat the car won't know if you do or don't have a cat.

My truck actually passed emissions better without a cat. Was a good bit less restricted with the cat out of the way. So the better emissions output can really only be attributed to a better running engine due to less restriction in the exhaust.

Do you car what comes out of the tailpipe? That's the only reason for you to have a cat in the car if it's emission exempt. A properly running car doesn't put out much in the way of bad emissions anyways.

Get the valve clearances adjusted (will probably effect the ticking by ding that) and keep the car in proper tune and don't worry about a lack of cat IMO.

632 Regal
09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
front drivers fender was repainted, run a car fax or similar.

oorx7
09-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Checked car fax.

It says no damage or accident reported to car fax. No issues reported at all, and guaranteed buy back on everything they offer.

Last mileage was reported at 101,479 late in 2006. Sold at auction in Midwest Region Listed as a dealer vehicle. this checks out with the sellers story, as his father owns a car dealer, and it still has dealer plates. I actually have to go to the dealer to buy the car because the title needs to be sent to me.

Seems like things are checking out.:) I will look into that fender closer by looking at the frame on that side. and for rust on that lower corner.

thanks again
Brandon

Sixdown
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Fender certainly looks repainted. I would say it wasn't claimed under insurance and thus didn't show up under the carfax. If the seller denies it, step with caution. Check for some frame damage under the hood. I know my 535i has a replaced fender and I could tell some of the frame had been bent back. Otherwise, the interior looks great for its age.

oorx7
09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will ask about the fender and check the frame in that area.

This car also spent all of it's life in the south between NC and GA. didn't come up north till mid 2005 in Wisconsin.

He his asking $4000 or trade for a small import.

I am planning on trading him my 96 civic coupe 5 speed manual 113,000 miles. Just updated all panels and seats to 99 SI spec and full repaint by my self and a friend. lowered on coils and that's it. I will be keeping the rims though as he doesn't have anything to put on top.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc96/oorx7/100_5151.jpg

Ross
09-13-2008, 10:41 AM
I also live in Iliinois, I'm pretty sure you are wrong about pre OBD II being exempt.

oorx7
09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Nope, I own an FD RX7 (93) and thank god I don't have to pass emissions with the rotary.

bubba966
09-13-2008, 03:16 PM
There should be a sticker on the top of the fender with the VIN number on it. If it doesn't have that or has a BMW sticker with a big R on it then it was replaced.

CarFax doesn't show that my hood was replaced (fan blade caught the rad hose due to a failed engine mount and sent the blades into the hood ruining it), or that my rear bumper & trunk was replaced. But they all were, and at least there wasn't any structural damage and what was done was done properly. My detailer is very good, and if he didn't take his paint thickness meter to my car he'd never been able to tell that parts had be re-sprayed. He was impressed with the work done on my car.

Anyways, was just saying that CarFax can certainly say that a car is original even if it's had damage of any sort repaired.

oorx7
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
I decided to trade!

I think I will have to do more work than expected, but I believe it will be worth it. I had little under $3000 into the car that I traded, so I guess I bought it for that.

So, now I am a e34 owner. :D

bmwrp8
09-17-2008, 12:33 AM
I decided to trade!

I think I will have to do more work than expected, but I believe it will be worth it. I had little under $3000 into the car that I traded, so I guess I bought it for that.

So, now I am a e34 owner. :D

congrats on you e34:D