PDA

View Full Version : need help replacing my obc

bobchiba
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
A few questions, is it unusual for the obc to stop working but for the backlighting to still be on, ie, when your lights are on?

Also, my dash obc readout displays nothing aswell, I presume this is still obc related, i.e. if your obc is gone, then so does that.

Think im gonna replace my obc as fuses seem fine, and all other electrics work. Also pretty sure its not the bulbs that have gone. As far as I've read up on this forum replacing it is pretty much 'plug and play' once you have the dash panels out.

pgrindstaff
09-11-2008, 01:51 PM
It could be possible for the lcd in the obc to go bad. Since the back light is just a bulb it would continue to operate until the bulb burned out.

If the obc is bad you will not see any information in the check control module of your cluster. This does not mean there is something wrong with the cluster, but that no data is being sent from the obc.

Replacing the obc is fairly simple. Remove the radio by opening the two panels on either side and unscrew the the torx screws. I cannot remember what size driver you need off the top of my head, maybe someone can chime in on this. After you have the radio out, reach in the hole and pull the lever near the top of the obc. The obc will pop out and you're done.

BMW4LIFE
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
quick question...............

are the 'words' avg, speed and all th eother goodies suppose to light up as well or just the screen?

thanks

bobchiba
09-13-2008, 10:54 AM
quick question...............

are the 'words' avg, speed and all th eother goodies suppose to light up as well or just the screen?

thanks

Sorry, not quite sure if your asking in regards to my question or your own problem, but basically the lcd is blank, no light/readout, but the buttons are still backlit.

shogun
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
A few questions, is it unusual for the obc to stop working but for the backlighting to still be on, ie, when your lights are on?

Also, my dash obc readout displays nothing aswell, I presume this is still obc related, i.e. if your obc is gone, then so does that.

Think im gonna replace my obc as fuses seem fine, and all other electrics work. Also pretty sure its not the bulbs that have gone. As far as I've read up on this forum replacing it is pretty much 'plug and play' once you have the dash panels out.

I assume it is not a problem of your OBC and dash OBC, if they do not display anything, then they do not get any signal maybe.

Remove the cluster, check all connectors at the rear of the cluster, spray the contacts with contact spray. Remove the check control module and do the same with that.
But it could also be an internal fault inside the cluster itself. Just last Saturday we repaired a cluster where the contacts INSIDE the cluster of the connectors had bade solderings. For this we had to break out some of the internal plastic inside the cluster.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/569942/

bobchiba
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
yes, i am aware it could very well be the wiring between the obc and dash etc, although i hope it isn't as that is probably outside of my diy capabilities, but surely if the obc wasn't the problem it would still be able to hold and display the time and the code function.

also i presume the obc module is under the rear passenger side seat