PDA

View Full Version : Fifth gear no go?

Jehu
09-11-2008, 12:13 AM
My Son tells me when he tried to shift his e34 525 5 sp into fifth there was "a lot of play" and it wouldn't stay in... what is the F'ing problem ? Worn synchro? New tranny or rebuild for short money?

Ferret
09-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Probably the shift linkages

Jehu
09-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Probably the shift linkages

Those inside the bell housing or something that can be fixed from underneath?

Ferret
09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Those inside the bell housing or something that can be fixed from underneath?

Have a look at this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=25_0025&hg=25&fg=05

All of this is accessible from under the car, though tight and you really have to know what you're doing...

You can remove nut 5, flip over part 3 and slide it out - it's a weird affair - you have to push up the lever end and then the other end is a big pin that slides out.

pop lock 16/17 out and you can lift the whole shifter assy out under the car for inspection.

Beware - this job requires that you do it blind as your hands will be in the spaces that you can usually see through. If it's not been disturbed for a long time you may find part 3 *very* reluctant to come out with the box still in the car!

I should have a photo of the assy somewhere but photobucket is currently offline.

I'd think it quite hard for something to fail inside the gearbox that would give it a lot of play - you've probably got a linkage on the blink somewhere. Something to inspect - pull the gearknob/gaiter off, then reach in and pull the boot off the bottom of the shifter and make sure the plastic ball hasnt collapsed from some 'speed shifting'...