PDA

View Full Version : Tires too large for quarter panel!!!

Dathaeus
09-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Ok, I know I can just get smaller tires, but I am trying the 17" 245's in the back of my 1997 328i sedan w/sports package. The fronts have 17" 225's. On a regular ride it is fine, but on a hard left turn the right tire sounds like it is brushing against the quarter panel. Now granted, I may make a turn like that just a few times a month, but it is still a very disconcerting sound.

My tire guy made me get an extender or spacer to put in my rear suspension to lift the car up one space in between two coils in the rear suspension. he tried to do it but he couldnt... he isnt the guy who usually does it, and his guy wasnt in that day. Anyways he told me to bring it back and his guy can put it in like in 10 minutes. Since the car will be lifted, it wont brush the panel anymore, he says, and a body guy also said that.

Again I know I can just go back to 225's or whatever, but now the tire is so used, i may have to pay for a whole new set of rears then. So my questions is, anyone else had this type of problem, how did u solve it, and what are the pros and cons of the spacer?

(apologies in advance if any of these assumptions, are umm, "inexperienced")
I would think pros:

- Might stiffen suspension a tad
- Might improve downforce a tad
- Should fix my tire brushing problem

Cons:

- Car will look higher (not sure if noticable)
- May not fix the tire brushing the panel
- May damage the suspension over time
- Needs readjustment every year

Thanks!

JohnC
11-14-2008, 05:06 PM
Roll your fenders?

shadowpuck
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
this is a classic case for a fender rolling......