PDA

View Full Version : Big A$$ pothole bent 3 of my rims today!

Rick L
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
On my way to work, I hit a giant pothole and it bent three of my rims! :( I do have full insurance coverage so I might have to call them. I have also heard you can collect from the city but this was on the expressway so not sure what jurisdiction that goes under. I looked up the price on these rims and they cost $760 each! I really don't like the idea of fixing bent rims as they are already fatigued. Anyone ever collected from the city for pothole damage?

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/RightSideRims.JPG

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/Pothole1.JPG

http://www.iccrents.com/ICC/Driver/BMW525i_3.JPG

Tiger
09-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Whoa... sorry to hear that. Depends on the expressway, look at the sign and see if it is interstate or county... call someone up tog et to the next step.

The rim can be fixed... but better if new... maybe some used one on ebay.

Ross
09-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Collect from the city? Chicago?... Phht Don't make me laugh.

Years ago I crossed a road that had been excavated for rebuilding, There was a gravel ramp in and out at a very steep angle as the roadbed was probably a foot deep. Hit it going about 40 at night, bottomed and crushed the oil pan. This was a deliberately constructed "obstacle", not a random hole, the city and state both said to F off.
Send 'em to Trans Wheel, KO tire in Elk Grove deals with them.

632 Regal
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
look at all them wheel weights! Perhaps the wheels were a tad bent when you had them balanced? They would have to layer them 5 thick now!

Tiger
09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Keen eyes! 2.75 ounce on the left and 3 ounce on the right... that is quite a bit of weight... a little on the heavy side.

632 Regal
09-10-2008, 10:46 PM
yeah balanced mine with about 3/4 oz on 2, then needed to remove them to zero for them to ride true again.

Keen eyes! 2.75 ounce on the left and 3 ounce on the right... that is quite a bit of weight... a little on the heavy side.

Paul in NZ
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM

left right???Look at the first wheel(the one n the left) at about 11 oclock...how much weight s that???

Rick L
09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Just got these new tires few weeks ago. Yokohama S-Drive tires... I did noticed many weights on them now but didn't with Falkins tires.

left right???Look at the first wheel(the one n the left) at about 11 oclock...how much weight s that???

Rick L
09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I called my insurance company and they are taking care of it and it is NO FAULT CLAIM so my insurance won't go up. They said they will even try to collect from the city and credit my deductable if possible. :) I have Allstate; surprised?

Whoa... sorry to hear that. Depends on the expressway, look at the sign and see if it is interstate or county... call someone up tog et to the next step.

The rim can be fixed... but better if new... maybe some used one on ebay.

Dave M
09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
I called my insurance company and they are taking care of it and it is NO FAULT CLAIM so my insurance won't go up. They said they will even try to collect from the city and credit my deductable if possible. :) I have Allstate; surprised?

Well done. Ya dun get nutin less ya ass fo it.

Dave

Tiger
09-11-2008, 10:20 PM
2.5 ounce for the inside of the wheel on the left... each segment is 0.25 oz. Those are not 1/2 oz segments... I know what 1/2 oz segments are.

Jon K
09-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeeeeep too familiar with that - sister bent her 17x10 rear rondell 58... $250 to refinish....

Ross
09-13-2008, 10:51 AM
After fiximng the wheels maybe try another installer. Sometimes just repositioning the tire on the wheel will solve a large imbalance, Lazy installers will just slap a bunch of lead on.

Tiger
09-13-2008, 10:56 AM
It really depends on the settings of the wheel balancer and whether it has the economy mode to reduce the weight installed. It also depends on the wheel itself... deep dish uses a bit more to balance it out.

I use wheel balancer myself so I do have a bit of experience on this matter.

bubba966
09-13-2008, 03:33 PM
After fiximng the wheels maybe try another installer. Sometimes just repositioning the tire on the wheel will solve a large imbalance, Lazy installers will just slap a bunch of lead on.

Yes, the heavy spot on the tire is marked from the factory and should usually go on the opposite side of the valve stem. So if you had someone stupid/lazy/busy/etc. that didn't do that it could take a good bit more weights to get them balanced properly.

Then again some tires just aren't manufactured to tight enough tolerances and are uneven in weight. Had Les Schwab tires on my truck that no one could ever get balanced worth a ****. They were cheap, and they weren't evenly balanced.

Put BFG's and later Michelins on them and they balanced out great.

Jr ///M5
09-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Know exactly what you mean. My wife bent 2 of the rims on her E60 this week, ruined the tires too.

New tires all the way around...$826 Bridgestone Potenza 960 Pole Position A/S
Two new 18" sport wheels......$975
Wheel Alignment ..................$145
Collision Claim on Insurance ....$500
Future Insurance Increase......$150
Payin out the wazoo for taxes
in order to drive on shitty
roads.................................$PRICELESS$

Ross
09-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Please explain what the economy mode is. Is the imbalance finite or not?
I don't understand how a balancing machine's setting could effect how much weight is needed to correct an imbalance.