PDA

View Full Version : dead headlight washers

bmwwheelman
09-05-2008, 12:22 AM
So recently, my windshield washer pumps died ( both main and intensive ).
I replaced them, and noticed my headlight ones died too.
I've checked all the fuses (front and back), checked the RM module under the seat in the back, everything LOOKS fine.
I checked the wiring as well as i could, nothing looked to be frayed or damaged.

I cannot figure out why they wont work :(

philbyil
09-05-2008, 11:30 AM
I've checked all the fuses (front and back), checked the RM module under the seat in the back, everything LOOKS fine.
I checked the wiring as well as i could, nothing looked to be frayed or damaged.

Check the switch and pump operation first. If OK, work your way back from the pump with a DMM...while someone operates the switch and you should find where the current stops.

tim eh?
09-05-2008, 12:45 PM

that's weird that 2 pumps died at exactly the same time. so you know different models have different tank setups, i don't see any info on your car. in mine, the headlight washer pump is a second pump mounted on the main reservoir at about the same level as the level sensor while the intensive cleaner is mounted at the back (towards windshield) of the engine compartment. the pipes and fixtures inside the bumper can leak like crazy too.

bmwwheelman
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Mine is mounted as the main has it's own tank on the right front. The intensive is a separate tank on top of that with it's own pump. And then the headlight is on the left side with it's own pump.
I know the lines aren't leaking. I've looked at that. I tested the plugs with a multimeter and didn't get anything. All fuses are okay. Is there a relay for the headlight cleaners?

Paul in NZ
09-06-2008, 02:18 AM
i think the wipers have their own relay.All mine work but the intensive wash sequence doesnt.

bmwwheelman
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM
So now the switch on the steering column is messed up... I can push it in, but it doesnt do anything anymore.
So I'm gunna replace that and see where it gets me. I really want my headlight cleaners for the winter :(

Paul in NZ
09-07-2008, 03:07 PM
So now the switch on the steering column is messed up... I can push it in, but it doesnt do anything anymore.
So I'm gunna replace that and see where it gets me. I really want my headlight cleaners for the winter :(

thats what mine does,all wother wioer functions are fine....but pushing in the button on the end doesnt activate the intensive wash...i miss that in the winter,cleans the screen well of all the grime build up